Manager, Tax Revenue and Reporting - City of Edmonton
City of Edmonton
Manager, Tax Revenue and ReportingJob Number: 41743
Reporting to the Director of Taxation Operations, the Manager, Tax Revenue and Reporting, is responsible for critical and complex processes that ensure the City collects its property tax levy, funding more than 55% of its operating budget. The successful candidate will need to be an experienced people leader with a background in municipal property assessment, taxation, and finance. The individual will be a member of the taxation management team and will need to gain familiarity with the work of the entire taxation section, with rotational management duties. The incumbent will prepare all taxation related by-laws, calculate City-wide property tax rates, and incorporate recommendations for changes in fees for service, tax penalty/interest rates, or monthly payment provisions. Strong communication skills will support presentations to City Council and its associated committees.
- Work with diverse and cross-functional teams across the corporation to provide expertise in relation to corporate initiatives that impact taxation or involve tax uplift calculations.
- Support succession planning and fluidity between management positions in this highly specialized area through cross-training and rotational assignments in the other areas of Taxation Operations including Customer Accounts and Billing, Special Purpose Accounting, Program Administration, and Tax Collection.
- Work with Branch Leadership and other departments to continually seek improvements to processes involving the collection of revenues such as local improvement charges and special taxes, fees for service, bylaw charges, legal fees, and BIA taxes.
- Work with subject matter experts to gather inputs and assumptions for forecasting/budgeting of corporate tax revenues and expenses.
- Complete auditable monthly reconciliations of accounts receivable including BIA taxes, search accounts, and property taxes; and liaise with the Tax Accounting team to ensure timely resolution of reconciling items
- Act as primary contact for Internal and External financial audits: compile information, provide explanations and respond to inquiries
- Calculate market value changes by class for preparation of tax impacts on property classes based on proposed rates
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, or related discipline
- An accounting designation will be considered an asset
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in a public sector Property Assessment and Taxation environment
- Progressively responsible management experience, including supervising diverse teams
- Experience with budgeting, forecasting and financial reporting, preferably in a public sector environment
- Extensive knowledge and practical application of assessment and taxation legislation in Alberta
- Understanding of other relevant legislation such as the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and Education Act
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to lead teams from diverse cultural, occupational and educational backgrounds
- Superior verbal and written communication skills; and an ability to communicate complex taxation, property assessment, and financial information in simple terms
- Expert MS Excel and Google suite skills
- Hire is dependent upon a Police Information Check satisfactory to the City of Edmonton
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results in the context of a respectful, inclusive, and service-minded style
- Embrace the Cultural Commitments of Safe, Helpful, Accountable, Integrated, and Excellent, and foster an environment that encourages others to do the same
- Demonstrate the foundational competencies, key behaviours and attributes of the City’s six leadership competencies: Courage, Inclusivity, Values-Based Influencer, Collaborative Networker, Systems Thinker, and Creative Innovator. For more information on the City’s leadership competencies, please visit (http://bit.ly/2PLbz1w)
- Applicants may be tested
The City of Edmonton is committed to inclusive, respectful, and equitable workplaces that represent the communities we serve. We continuously improve our systems, policies, and practices to remove barriers and ensure our employees, in all their diversity, can succeed. We value applicants with a diverse range of skills, experiences and competencies, and encourage you to apply. To learn more, see the Art of Inclusion: Our Diversity and Inclusion Framework here: https://bit.ly/3hd2d95.
The City of Edmonton strives to provide reasonable access and accommodations throughout the application and selection process. If you would like to request an accommodation at any stage of the process, please contact Employment@edmonton.ca.
Up to 1 permanent, full-time position
Hours of work: 40 hours, Monday - Friday
Salary: $48.416 - $61.152 (Hourly); $101,093.34-$127,685.34 (Annually)
Talent Acquisition Consultant: STD/BV
Classification Title: Senior Financial Analyst
Posting Date: Sep 13, 2021
Closing Date: Sep 23 2021 11:59:00 PM (MDT)
Number of Openings (up to): 1 - Permanent Full-time Union: CSU 52
Department: Assessment and Taxation
Work Location(s): Chancery Hall 7th Floor 3 Sir Winston Churchill Square Edmonton T5J 2C3
Visit www.edmonton.ca/careers for information on how to apply