Communications Specialist - Wheatland County
Position Reports To:
Manager of People Services
The Communications Specialist is responsible for planning and implementing effective Wheatland County communications that is open, transparent and proactive, through the following services: media relations, public / community relations, internal communications, issues management, corporate communications, electronic communications, creative services, and crisis management / emergency communications.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate comprehensive strategic communication plans and programs in consultation with the County’s departments and business areas.
- Identify communications opportunities to raise awareness of activities, programs and services within the community of Wheatland County; implement communication plans and programs.
- Develop and implement the County’s social media strategy and plan (e.g., Facebook; Twitter; LinkedIn); maintain social media on a regular / daily basis.
- Conduct ongoing updates to the Wheatland County website ensuring information is strategic, accurate, and current.
- Strategically plan and coordinate all media relations; incorporate social media updates into media relations communications.
- Facilitate and / or lead the development of content for numerous communication materials including media releases, fact sheets, backgrounders, community newsletters, pamphlets, brochures, staff newsletters, website content, advertisements, and social media posts.
- Develop communications materials such as brochures, newsletters, advertising, promotional materials, quarterly reports, and the County’s annual report.
- Provide leadership / coordination services regarding the planning and delivery of public and staff / special events.
- Research, plan, execute, and evaluate / report on public engagement / public participation
- Provide a variety of graphic design activities including desktop publishing and layout, production, illustration, and pre-press file preparation.
- Provide writing services (e.g., editing, proofreading, plain language / gender neutral language, etc.) for internal and external communications.
- Prepare and deliver communication training programs to internal audiences.
- Develop and maintain a network of internal contacts to keep abreast of developments within the organization; ensure employees are aware of the organization’s business objectives, activities and branding requirements.
- Coordinate media and / or press conferences and briefings, when strategically required.
- Attend committee and Council meetings to maintain an awareness of key issues; respond to inquiries from staff / external community by producing internal / external documents containing updates based upon Council decisions.
- Monitor media articles to ensure the organization is kept aware of significant / impactful issues.
- Develop, maintain / update the Emergency Public Information Plan; act as the Emergency Public Information Officer; develop and train a support team of volunteers to provide communications support during emergency situations.
- Ensure adherence to all applicable Wheatland County policies and bylaws.
- Ensure compliance with OH&S including attendance at safety meetings, being properly trained in OH&S related topics, and ensuring work is completed in a safe manner.
- Appropriately, and in a timely manner complete administrative tasks (e.g., personal timesheet) when required.
- Relate to and communicate with co-workers, management, customers and vendors sincerely, clearly, tactfully, promptly and courteously; respond to inquiries and complaints promptly and professionally (e.g., coordinate appropriate responses to public/ ratepayers’ complaints).
- Perform tasks, consistent with the position, including special projects / assignments, as may be required on an ad hoc basis.
- Degree from a recognized post-secondary educational institution in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or equivalent.
- Current membership in a professional association (e.g., IABC, CPRS, or ACE) preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years related experience in communications, public relations or related field
- Incident Command System (ICS) training for emergency management communications strategy and planning would be ideal
- Proven success in developing and implementing communications strategies and plans
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with various stakeholders
- Experience crafting and maintaining a social media presence to assist in branding / promoting events and initiatives for building relationships with stakeholders
- Exceptional writing, editing, proofreading skills with the ability to adapt writing style to target audiences
- Effective presentation skills with the ability to facilitate group meetings / discussions for the purpose of soliciting ideas, gathering feedback, collecting data, and summarizing information
- Strong interpersonal communication skills with the ability to communicate with sensitivity, diplomacy and integrity; ability to maintain confidentiality and handle information appropriately in a political environment
- Effective time management and organizational skills to meet deadlines while prioritizing and completing several competing, complex and evolving projects in a fast paced environment
- Ability to use various computer software programs including Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite
- Ability to use website software (e.g., Joomla)
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively in a team environment
- Valid Class 5 Alberta drivers’ licence
- This position works a 5 day work week, Monday to Friday, with one day off in a 3 week cycle; hours of work: standard 37.5 hour work week
- Occasional overtime may be required
Please apply on the Wheatland County website https://wheatlandcounty.ca/career-opportunities/communications-specialist-12-month-term-position/