Dispatcher - City of Nelson
Nelson Police Department
Who are we?
Dispatchers are the first point of contact in an emergency. They take-charge of the situation and provide the caller with a re-assuring voice. Dispatchers are well trained professionals who get people the help they need. We work shoulder-toshoulder with police officers, fire fighters and other emergency services personnel. A dispatchers primary responsibility is to initiate the appropriate response in an emergency, whether that be police, fire or medical dispatch Are you ready to join our team and make a real difference in peoples' lives?
Are we the right fit for you?
- Do you thrive in high pressure situations?
- Do demanding and fast paced conditions excite you?
- Are you able to remain calm when faced with high anxiety, emotional distress and fatigue in others?
- Do you genuinely like people and are you empathetic?
- Do you have the ability to diffuse conflict?
- Are you able to be respectful and assertive at the same time?
- Are you quick with questions and can you summarize the information you hear?
- Are you a problem solver?
- Are you a team player and do you consider constructive feedback as a means to becoming better at what you do?
- Above all, do you have a desire to help people - all people?
- You are fluent in English, both spoken and written.
- You can pass a security clearance by the Nelson Police Department.
- You can type at least 44 words per minute.
- You adapt to technology easily.
- You have graduated from high school.
- You can work full-time shifts - up to 12 hrs with varying days.
- You are resilient and know how to take care of yourself.
- You are a quick learner.
- You are a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident.