Receptionist - Wheatland County
Position Title: Receptionist
Position Reports To:
General Manager of Corporate and Financial Services
The Receptionist performs a variety of tasks including administrative / office support to Council, Administration, and the department, including tasks related to answering the telephone, responding to, and directing inquiries to the appropriate business area, greeting visitors, responding to inquiries from the public, and providing information regarding the County.
The Receptionist also handles the processing of payments, issuing receipts and balancing cash receipts. The Receptionist will provide back-up support for other positions within Finance (e.g., Utility Clerk) as required by the General Manager of Corporate and Financial Services.
Telephone and In-Person Reception
- Operate the switchboard by answering telephone calls promptly.
- Maintain and update telephone and mobile phone lists of employees, the office directory and the phone system. •
- Respond to telephone calls and direct inquiries including in-person inquiries to the appropriate department or business area / staff member. •
- Greet visitors / public in a friendly, courteous and professional manner; provide appropriate information and assistance. •
- For security purposes, monitor the access of visitors and verify credentials, when appropriate. •
- Provide high quality customer service by assisting customers; when applicable, process application forms for Wheatland County services.
Finance Administrative Support
- Accurately process a variety of payments (e.g., road approach deposits, planning and development fees, utilities, property taxes); issue receipts to customers; maintain records of transactions.
- Reconcile and close credit and debit card terminal and prepare bank deposit.
- Process tax certificate payments in accordance with the tax certificate procedure.
General Office Administrative Support
- Book Council Chambers and Council committee meetings on required dates; prepare coffee for Council and Council committee meetings. •
- Ensure photocopier rooms are adequately stocked including supplies for Council; ensure photocopiers are filled with paper and the postage machine is equipped with sealer so that all equipment is constantly ready for use.
- Assess inventory levels and purchase office supplies for both the Administrative building and Council; when required, order fruit baskets / flowers for employees / elected officials.
- Monitor the County postage meter; advise Accounts Payable when postage meter reaches a certain amount.
- Participate in maintaining a tidy staff kitchen / lunch room.
- Handle mail-out requests for County maps and booklets; log and provide invoice data for invoice processing by Accounts Receivable.
- Provide support to Protective Services business area by processing all dog licences; maintain / update licence list.
- Open and distribute mail to appropriate business areas; handle incoming faxes, newspapers, courier shipments, administration email, and night deposit box; prepare and coordinate outgoing courier shipments.
- Receive and properly secure incoming legal proposals, tenders, etc.
- Ensure bulletin board notices are current with items properly posted.
- Ensure the Reception area is tidy and organized.
- Support Records Management with electronic filing of applicable records.
- Arrange the scheduling of vendors to provide office equipment maintenance services.
- Ensure adherence to all applicable Wheatland County policies and bylaws.
- Ensure compliance with OH&S including attendance at safety meetings, being properly trained in OH&S related topics, and ensuring work is completed in a safe manner.
- Appropriately, and in a timely manner complete administrative tasks (e.g., timesheets), when required.
- Relate to and communicate with co-workers, management, customers and vendors sincerely, clearly, tactfully, promptly and courteously; respond to inquiries and complaints promptly and professionally.
- Perform tasks, consistent with the position, including special projects / assignments, as may be required on an ad hoc basis.
- Minimum grade 12 diploma or GED; administrative training / courses with a certificate or diploma would be an asset
- Minimum 1-3 years of reception / administrative assistance experience
- High proficiency in computer programs including MS Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Proficiency in the use of office equipment including yet not limited to voice messaging, fax and photocopier
- Effective data entry skills • Valid Class 5 Alberta drivers’ licence
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Effective written communication skills
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy / attention to detail
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively, both independently and cooperatively in a team environment
This position works a 5 day work week, Monday to Friday, with one day off in a 3 week cycle; hours of work: standard 37.5 hour work week