Program Director, Downtown Revitalization - City of Brampton
City of Brampton
Program Director, Downtown Revitalization
Brampton is a city focused on the future. We serve one of the youngest, fastest growing, and most diverse cities in the country. We are a future ready organization with a sharp focus that is aiming high and thinking bigger. We sit at the centre of Canada’s innovation super corridor, encouraging investment and growing our global success. We are building a vibrant community that ignites opportunity and instills pride in the people who live and work here. Brampton is in the midst of transforming, out in front, as a pioneer of suburban excellence. Leaders in our organization understand success requires passion, creativity and agility. We value progress over process. We hold each other accountable. We are a team who is engaged, excited and empowered to deliver results for Brampton, and beyond. See brampton.ca for more information.
Reporting to the Commissioner, Public Works and Engineering, the Program Director, Downtown Revitalization (DRP) will manage and provide leadership and strategic oversight of the delivery of the Brampton revitalization program. As the main point of contact for this initiative, the Director will manage and integrate the activities of multiple, major project operations ensuring that project efforts are generally cohesive, consistent, and effective in supporting the City’s mission, goals, and strategic plan. The Program Director will make strategic decisions and provide leadership and direction to project managers to implement those decisions.
Reporting to the Commissioner, Public Works and Engineering (PWE), the Program Director will take on a primary department leadership role, liaising with Council, external stakeholders and closely coordinating with other directors, project managers and project leads in the various departments and/or divisions, as needed. The DRP Director will continuously review and evaluate the project and make recommendations to the Commissioner PWE and/or senior leadership including the prioritization of the delivery of the DRP projects. The Program Director will ensure that related projects are completed on time, within budget and to the standards required by Legislation, Codes and the City while ensuring build quality. The DRP Director will also work in concert with CLT, the Region of Peel, relevant external agencies and ministries, in order to deliver on Council’s vision for a vibrant and dynamic downtown. The Commissioner, PWE will further define the scope of responsibility and accountability for the DRP Director role, as needed and based on Term of Council’s Priorities.
Special Projects and Corporate Contribution
- Provide strategic oversight for the various special projects and initiatives related to the DRP in coordination with the Region and other external agencies.
- Provide strategic leadership and technical, operational, financial, and managerial leadership for successful implementation of project activities.
- Prioritize and manage the various DRP special projects and initiatives by facilitating the process of project implementation, monitoring and intervening where appropriate to move the project forward in an efficient manner to deliver on time and budget.
- Provide leadership and guidance to the various teams on project management and assisting with resolutions to unforeseen issues.
- Meet regularly with project managers and stakeholders, and advise the Commissioner, PWE, and others as necessary, regarding findings and recommended next steps as required.
- Proactively identify roadblocks and unforeseen issues that could impact the successful and timely execution of the DRP projects and initiatives.
- Elevate issues to the Commissioner PWE and provide sound recommendations to resolve construction and operational issues and mitigate risks and liabilities.
- Establish and implement relevant standards to support defined goals and objectives, as defined by Council.
- Ensures the scope and direction of each DRP project is on schedule and in alignment with Council’s priorities and key stakeholders as applicable.
- Contribute and liaise with other department/division heads and senior project leaders on the financial planning for DRP special projects related to the delivery and implementation.
- Provide leadership and guidance in management and controls of implementation processes to facilitate the successful and timely delivery of projects.
Relationship Management and Customer Service
- Build and foster strong working relationships and collaborative arrangements with internal and external teams, stakeholders and government agencies to promote the DRP and implement strategic goals aligned with corporate objectives.
- Strategize with project managers and other internal partners and explore alternate funding and financing models to support the timely development of the downtown.
- Cultivate a transparent and diverse environment through open communication and inclusive leadership
- Ability to foster engagement, debate and discussions to build consensus and achieve the strategic objectives of Council’s vision for a vibrant downtown.
- Promote teamwork through the integral delivery of the DRP implementation plan.
- Coordinate and liaise with other department heads and senior project leaders to develop an integrated proactive implementation plan with key milestones towards completion.
Communication and Reporting
- Communicate effectively and establish links with stakeholders to identify needs and evaluate alternative business solutions to meet the goals and objectives of the Strategic Plan.
- Act as lead/key resources at various meetings to present reports, recommendations, and respond to enquiries for defined programs and projects.
- Provide expert advice and recommendations to influence decision-making for solving any project disruptions with positive outcomes.
- Provide input to and manage current budget of expenditures related to function or programs and ensure budget compliance meet necessary signoffs and approvals.
- Negotiate with internal and external vendors to ensure budget compliance.
- Use of effective resource and expense management at all times ensuring approvals and spending are consistent with operating objectives to meet corporate policies/by-law and guidelines.
- Demonstrate effective fiscal responsibility in addressing cost management challenges.
Teamwork and Cooperation
- Work well within diverse groups to achieve common goals and objectives to meet operational effectiveness and corporate service standards.
- Demonstrate corporate values at all times.
- Participate as a member of cross-functional team largely relying on interdependencies
- Build a dedicated DRP delivery team complete with the required resources and competencies to be able to deliver the DRP projects and initiatives in the short term and over the next few years (mid and long term).
- Lead, motivate and support the DRP delivery team. Establish performance objectives and work assignments and motivate staff through coaching and guidance.
- Provide direction and guidance to project team, and outside consultants or vendors who provide project support and services for the revitalization program.
- Responsible for adherence to internal policies and procedures (i.e., human resources practices), collective agreements and applicable legislative regulations (i.e., health and safety practices).
- Post-secondary degree in architecture, engineering, planning (MBA, MPA an asset).
- PMP designation desired.
- 7-10 years related experience in infrastructure planning and infill redevelopment preferably in both public and unionized environments.
- 5-7 years progressive management experience managing professional staff.
- Expert knowledge of municipal, regional, provincial and federal governments, applicable Legislations and awareness of current social, economic and political priorities is an asset.
- Project management experience and methodology is an asset
- Highly developed relationship management and public relations skills; Interface with internal and external key stakeholders, community groups, government agencies, public and private sector organizations
- Highly developed organizational skills; Detail oriented, well organized and able to prioritize highly complex tasks with critical deadlines.
- Highly developed analytical skills for complex problem solving; Fiscal and financial acumen.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft office/software.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, email your cover letter and resume by October 1, 2021 to:
Patrick Rowan, Partner
Feldman Daxon Partners
We thank all of those who apply; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. The City of Brampton values diversity and inclusion and encourages individuals to apply who can bring the value of their community and professional experiences to support diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment and selection process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. Information collected will be handled in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.