Supervisor, Water Treatment Operations - Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo
Supervisor, Water Treatment Operations (Permanent)
Environmental Services Department
Position Type/ Hours: This is a permanent full-time position working seventy (70) hours bi-weekly within the Water Treatment Operations Branch of the Environmental Services Department. This position is located in the community of Fort McMurray, the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo’s urban centre. This position will be required to travel to the rural communities located approximately fifty (50) kilometres south of Fort McMurray on Highway 881.
Position Description: The Supervisor, Water Treatment Operations, is responsible for providing guidance and support in all areas of water treatment operations. Primary responsibilities of this position include:
Employee Development: Performs supervisory tasks for assigned team members. Works with team to plan and balance workload. Ensures that the team is managed fairly and consistently and that work processes are followed and coordinated to guarantee service levels. Mentors, coaches, and provides support to staff. Assists in recruitment and training of staff.
Research and Implementation: Participates in the continuous research, development, improvement, and implementation of effective departmental strategies, tools, and guidelines based on the Municipality’s best practices. Analyzes the effectiveness of departmental programs and makes suggestions for further improvement. Provides input on department business plans, initiatives, and budget to ensure continuous achievement of department goals.
Operational Guidance: Maintains communication with external agencies involved in water treatment operations and prepares reports for submission to Federal and Provincial regulatory agencies, Health Centers, and First Nations. Identifies and recommends changes to communication strategies affecting water treatment. Ensures all required special reports are prepared and issued in a timely manner in accordance with applicable legislation. Responsible for the operations of all Water Treatment, Truck Fill and Pump House facilities. Maintains service levels, professional working environment, and written procedures. Administers resources within limits determined by Manager, Water Treatment. Procures services and consumables required by operations. Sets tone for the operational unit. Interacts with and supports the maintenance team. Ensures plants are operated and maintained according to relevant legislation and standards. Ensures standards are strictly followed to guarantee compliance with environmental and public safety requirements.
- Water Treatment Level III Certification is required. Water Treatment Level IV Certification must be obtained within 18 months of filling the position.
- Seven (7) years of experience in a municipal water treatment environment with a minimum of two (2) years of experience in a supervisory role is required.
- Water Distribution, Wastewater Treatment, and Collection certification are considered assets.
- Trade certification is considered an asset.
- Experience working in a public sector environment with unionized and non-unionized employees is considered an asset.
- Valid Alberta Class Five (5) driver’s licence is required as the incumbent may be required to operate a personal or municipal vehicle for business use.
You will possess the following:
- Ability to empower people and use innovative approaches in situations involving rapid change, shifting priorities, and/or simultaneous demands.
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, and communication skills, as well as a demonstrated ability to assess situations from a business perspective.
- Strong team player with a collaborative style and project management and facilitation skills.
- Proven customer focus with demonstrated ability to build effective relationships with internal customers, external providers, and industry contacts.
- Thorough understanding of all legislation, standards, and best practices pertaining to water treatment operations.
- Proficient in various software applications.
- Sound, practical judgment using independent decision making.
- Knowledge of all equipment and processes used in water treatment operations.
- Must be familiar with health, safety, and environmental standards.
- Must be willing to work in unsanitary conditions and in all weather conditions (immunizations strongly recommended for work in unsanitary conditions).
Salary: Competitive Salary
In addition to the rate of pay, we offer:
- an extensive employer-paid benefits plan
- an additional annual payment of $12,480 which, represents a cost of living allowance
Requisition Number: 006226
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Posting Type: Internal & External (Posted: July 17, 2021)
To apply: Please visit our website at www.rmwb.ca
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, only those individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
Late applications will not be accepted.