Director of Operations - Alberta Recycling Management Authority
Alberta Recycling Management Authority
Director of Operations
Management / Administration
Alberta Recycling Management Authority
The Alberta Recycling Management Authority (ARMA) acts on behalf of the province to oversee end-of-life processing of tires, electronics, paint and used oil materials. Our industry is rooted in the principle of circular economy where resources and products are kept in use for as long as possible, and regenerated into new products and materials at the end of their earlier life cycle.
The Director of Operations (DOO) is directly responsible for ensuring the implementation and successful delivery of programs and initiatives. The DOO provides expertise related to the recycling programs to the COO and, as directed, to the Board of Directors, stakeholders and the public. The DOO provides leadership with a focus on the ongoing, day-to-day management of the funding administered through Programs managed by ARMA.
- Working directly with the COO, develops longer term strategies and objectives for the Programs of ARMA which support the vision and goals of the Alberta Recycling Board of Directors.
- Directly responsible for the evaluation, approval and management of the funding processes under the Programs, including managing the review of applications and eligibility for funding from current and prospective registered processors for conformity to the program incentive requirements.
- Manages relationships with active registered processors under the Programs and related parties regarding issues associated with funding programs, industries and markets.
Program Evaluation and Performance Improvement
- Management of the environmental assurance procedures (environmental, health and safety audits) of the Programs according to the guidelines identified in the business plan.
- Manage the operations approval process for funding claims generated by program administration staff.
- Collects, maintains, and analyzes information on recycling industries, and other provincial recycling programs to ensure a current understanding of key emerging industry developments.
- Communicates with recycling programs in other provinces regarding common issues related to the relevant recycling industries.
- Identifies and develops new initiatives for joint projects with other recycling programs to support Alberta Recycling priorities.
- Acts as the first point of contact for inquiries regarding ARMA’s recycling programs.
- Reviews and makes recommendations concerning research proposals received from academic, engineering, and scientific institutions.
Project & Contract Management
- Prepares and delivers presentations to the Board of Directors, Industry Councils, Committees of the Board of Directors, and outside agencies and interest groups on a variety of recycling program issues.
- Ensures the responsibilities of Industry Councils are met through providing comprehensive program information in support of established priorities so that the Industry Councils are able to develop the necessary recommendations to be brought forward for consideration by the Board.
- Identifies and proposes existing Program changes and new program initiatives for consideration by the COO and CEO.
- Manages contracts with external consultants engaged for the development or delivery of programs and projects (e.g. environmental impact analysis and audits, technical evaluations, etc.).
- Along with senior management team, develops and administers Human Resources policies and procedures.
- Contributes to a positive and safe culture by modeling the organizational values.
- Performs other job-related duties as required.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Business Administration or equivalent.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of related experience.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of related leadership experience.
- Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered
- Demonstrated experience in policy development and/or program evaluation.
- A clear and solid understanding of operational and personnel policies, practices, and procedures.
- Advanced knowledge of stewardship programs, recycling regulations and organization bylaws.
- In depth knowledge of non-profit governance and general management best practice.
- Proficiency in using Office 365 applications, in particular Excel with strong to advanced skills.
Knowledge Skills & Abilities:
- Leadership & Navigation: Uses information, personnel, time, and other resources necessary effectively and efficiently to accomplish tasks within the parameters of organizational hierarchy, processes, systems, and policies and establishes appropriate courses of action for self, teams, and individuals to accomplish specific goals. Motivates team and provides coaching and assistance as required.
- Strategic Thinking: Understands the strategic relationship between effective financial, risk and compliance management and core business functions.
- Technical Capability: Knowledge of principles, practices, and functions of effective operational management and proven experience leading operational planning and reporting.
- Business Acumen: Understands and applies information to contribute to the organization’s strategic plan leveraging business knowledge, strategic agility, systems thinking, and metrics/analytics to measure performance.
- Communication Proficiency: Provides clear, concise information to others in verbal, written, electronic and other communication formats. Listens actively and ensures effect communications throughout the organization.
- Critical Evaluation: Uses critical thinking and problem solving to assess and interpret information to make business decisions and recommendations.
- Relationships Management: Builds engaging relationship will all organizational stakeholders through trust, teamwork, and direct communications. Demonstrates approachability and openness.
- Ethical Practice: Integrates core values, integrity and accountability throughout all organizational and business practices and acts with personal, professional, and behavioural integrity.
August 6, 2021
If you are passionate about inspiring a future without waste, having fun, embracing change and pursuing growth we would love to hear from you. Please apply in confidence to Human Resources by emailing your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We offer a competitive base salary commensurate with experience, an RRSP program and an attractive group benefit package.
We would like to thank everyone for their application; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
By submitting your resume and personal information to Alberta Recycling Management Authority, and/or participating in a personal interview, you acknowledge and consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information by Alberta Recycling Management Authority to determine your suitability for employment opportunities.