Chief Information Officer (CIO) - City of Markham
City of Markham
Chief Information Officer (CIO)
About the City of Markham
Located in the heart of the GTA, more than 353,000 people call the City of Markham home. As Canada’s high-tech capital and most diverse community, the residents of Markham enjoy a rich heritage, outstanding community planning and services, and a vibrant local economy. An award winning municipality, Markham is York Region’s innovation hub and a key player in Ontario’s innovation corridor. Committed to being a model of public service excellence with a workforce that is representative of the population Markham serves, the City is looking for people who share their values and are champions of innovative practices. Diversity is one of Markham’s strategic priorities, and they strive to develop and maintain an environment that is inclusive and creates a sense of belonging for all.
People who live in Markham enjoy:
- World class facilities and amenities
- Service excellence
- Vibrant community events and activities
- Sustainability leadership
- High quality of life
There's so much to love about Markham…and lots to do!
About the Role
Reporting to the Commissioner of Corporate Services, you will be a key influencer and business leader, continuing to build Markham’s reputation as a digital innovator. You will provide strategic leadership and direction in information and communications technology for the City and the community, as well as the planning and delivery of information technology services to meet the City’s current and emerging operational business needs.
As CIO, you will direct the planning and implementation of major enterprise IT projects, the provision and management of technology infrastructure and business systems, corporate data and analytics, cyber security, business continuity and emergency management, the development and management of annual operating business plans and budgets, as well as corporate IT policies, procedures, and best practices. You will make it a priority to identify strategic and innovative information technology initiatives and opportunities, while ensuring successful on-time, on-budget project delivery. You will also be developing and communicating related policies to City staff, establishing key performance indicators and benchmarks, as well as monitoring and maintaining consistency and quality of City programs and services.
In this critical leadership role, as the CIO, your key duties and responsibilities will include:
- Leadership for the Digital Markham Strategy and Action Plan
- Implementation of the GIS and Data Analytics Strategy
- Technology support for the municipal election
- Business/Strategic Planning, Budget, and Financial Activities
- Program Management and Quality Assurance Functions
- Information and Communications Technology Program Activities
- Human Resource Management and Team Leadership Responsibilities
- Communication, Liaison and Customer Service Activities
To be considered for the role of Chief Information Officer (CIO), the ideal candidate will be a business oriented strategic thought leader with a corporate perspective, and a strong delivery, superior client service and results focus. You will be a collaborative high energy team player who is innovative, and passionate, with the following qualifications:
- Successful completion of a university degree in Computer Science or a related field of study.
- PMP certification is an asset.
- A minimum of 8-10 years of experience in leading significant initiatives and complex, multiple technology projects, ideally in private or public sector environments, including direct senior managerial experience that includes program, financial, budget administration, and key performance indicator strategies.
- A minimum of 5 years of technology management experience.
- Experience leading the design of IT strategy or high-level information and technology architecture for e-business, leading, and managing business vendor relationships, and working with elected officials.
- Experience assessing technology needs in a large, multi-site facility, developing and directing the implementation of personal computer services, LAN/WAN, Intranet/Internet and associated programs and services
Knowledge and Skills
To be successful in the role of CIO, you will also have:
- Strong business acumen and orientation
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability in corporate core competencies, including customer service, communication, teamwork, initiative/self-management and accountability and flexibility/adaptability.
- Management competencies, including results/achievement focus, leadership, financial management, business planning, decision-making/judgement, representation and professionalism and job knowledge.
- Demonstrated knowledge of applicable legislation, municipal and regional government organization and structure, industry standards, issues and communities served.
- Knowledge of, and demonstrated ability in, strategic planning, change management design, process and implementation strategies to optimize both quality and cost-effectiveness of delivery of its areas of business.
- Demonstrated political acumen and ability to negotiate/mediate, facilitate and present information to a varied audience.
- Proven managerial ability, including program implementation.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of financial budget and business planning processes.
To apply to this mission-critical executive position in municipal government, submit your application to Phelps at email@example.com, specifying the job title in the subject line of your
e-mail. Application deadline: July 30, 2021.
Diversity is a priority at Markham. Our programs and services meet the diverse needs of our residents. We promote inclusion in the workplace and in the community- we want people with diverse backgrounds to work here! Learn more by visiting our website.
The City of Markham is committed to inclusive, accessible and barrier free employment practices. Please let us know if you require an accommodation and we will work with you to ensure a barrier free hiring process.
401 Bay Street, Suite 1400, T
oronto, ON M5H 2Y4
Phone: 416 364 6229