GIS Technician - City of Lloydminster
(1 Position Available)
Term of Employment:
Full-Time, Term (Approximately 17 months)
Article 13.05 c) Should an internal applicant be awarded the term position they shall revert to their former position at the expiration of the leave.
Rate of Pay:
Band 6: $36.10 - $39.43 per hour
(Subject to CUPE 1015 Agreement)
Reporting to the Manager, GIS, the GIS Technician provides support in the creation and maintenance of the City’s corporate GIS data and in the creation of various drawings/maps for City Departments.
- Assist in developing application systems as required
- Create and maintain features, attributes, drawings, and documents in the development of the City's GIS and Asset management systems
- Utilize software to convert, transform and integrate spatial and non-spatial data
- Ensure data integrity/quality/accuracy
- Categorize and file drawings as required
- Produce daily corporate mapping/drafting functions
- Prepare drawings as per City drawing standards and assist in review of developer/consultant drawings for compliance
- Prepare digital data for City departments and stakeholders
- Perform manipulation and analysis of data using multiple software platforms and data sources
- Plan map content, format and design, and compile required data from aerial photographs, survey notes, records, reports and other maps
- Provide technical support for in-house geomatics software
- Create and maintain web maps utilizing in-house geomatics software
- Assist in troubleshooting issues encountered with in-house geomatics software
- Assist in management of in-house geomatics software
- Assist with investigating new methods and technologies
- Ensure proper security for spatial data files
- Assist in maintaining design standards and processes for in-house geomatics software
- Assist with creation/updating of metadata/SOP documents
- Provide recommendations on improvements to geomatics related business practices and procedures
- Manage multiple assignments and report weekly project progress
- Provide input into the development of program work plan and allocation of resources
- Provide clients with information, and mentor and guide co- workers and external clients on matters related to custom and series mapping, data standards and techniques
- Interpret and evaluate client's information and data requirements
- Assist in developing user training materials as needed
- Assist in training internal and external users in the use of in use geomatics software
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director, Planning & Engineering
Other related duties as required.
This position is office-based, normal working hours are between 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. with the occasional requirement to work outside these standard hours.
- Two (2) years of post-secondary education from a recognized institution in Engineering Design and Drafting, GIS or Geomatics technology program
- 2 years related experience in municipal geomatics, geographic information systems, cartography or engineering design and drafting;
- Effective communication and comprehension skills
- In-depth knowledge of cartographic principles and practices that consist of the concepts of map projections and scale, layout, legibility, aesthetics, colours and tones, feature differentiation, symbology, topology and elevation, as well as knowledge of core data sets and municipal data
- Knowledge and ability to apply computer graphics techniques such as digitizing, drawing, customizing, importing and converting data formats and structuring data for GIS use resulting in output to GIS applications, plotters and other graphics packages or devices
- Knowledge and ability to create/analyse/maintain new customized data sets from various source data as well as external third party and newly derived data
- Operation of standard office equipment and proficient with PC applications including: Autodesk Map 3D, Autodesk Civil 3D, FTP software, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, ESRI ArcGIS Desktop
- Strong customer service abilities and focus
- Project management and organizational skills to balance multiple projects and deliver them within a short turnaround time
- Team player and commitment to team goals
- Competent file management, time management and organizational skills
- Ability to develop creative graphic styles, and manage visual design of mapping projects
- A valid Class 5 Driver’s License registered in Alberta or
Saskatchewan with an acceptable Driver’s Abstract is required. This position may be required to operate a personal or municipal vehicle for business purposes.
Satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
Successful applicant must provide proof of qualifications.
June 21, 2021
Internal & External
The City of Lloydminster is an equal opportunity employer. If you have questions or require further information on this position, please contact us. All applications must be sent to the Employee Relations team and received by the closing date.
HR Generalist, Employee Relations City of Lloydminster
4420-50 Avenue Lloydminster AB/SK T9V 0W2
Internal Candidate Email: firstname.lastname@example.org External Candidates apply at: www.lloydminster.ca/jobs
Posting Date: 7-Jun-21