Payroll Coordinator - Capital Regional District
Finance & Technology, Financial Services
Regular Full time
Hours of Work
70 hours bi-weekly
Rate of Pay
$38.61 - $43.80 per hour
Review of applications begins
4:00pm on June 18, 2021
The Payroll Coordinator is a highly confidential role responsible for accurate and timely planning and processing of Capital Regional District and Capital Region Housing Corporation payrolls. This position, reviews changes to regulations, analyzes and reviews and recommends policies, processes and procedures, as well as reviews and participates in Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system testing and implements system enhancements, releases, and version upgrades. Working with other payroll staff, the Coordinator is also responsible for the active and accurate full cycle bi-weekly processing of the CRD’s payroll.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides guidance and direction to payroll staff to ensure efficient systems and procedures are developed, maintained, and amended.
- Guides, directs, trains and supports payroll staff in all aspects of payroll records and processing including benefits reconciliation.
- Provides hands on active and accurate full cycle processing of the CRD’s payroll for unionized and excluded staff, and Board of Directors.
- Researches and updates section business processes and recommends policy and procedure systems that improve efficiencies and internal controls based on best practices and regulatory requirements including working closely with departments, Human Resources and Information Technology to design and implement payroll time entry and reporting processes.
- Contributes to and implements payroll policies and procedures relative to ensure payroll actions are in accordance with statutory and regulatory requirements (such as Canada Revenue Agency and WorkSafe BC), applicable collective agreements, bylaws and employment contracts, and CRD financial policies and procedures.
- Ensures payroll transactions are processed in an efficient and accurate manner while using ERP best practices.
- Works closely with Human Resources to coordinate the receipt of information, clarify changes provide further details, and reconcile discrepancies related to payroll.
- Responds to enquiries and information received from internal and external stakeholders.
- Prepares monthly and year end reconciliations for all payroll related accounts and ensures any journal entries are properly prepared and processed on a timely basis.
- Performs year-end production, reconciliation and submission of reporting documents as required by legislation such as T4 slips and annual reporting.
- Participates, as the subject matter expert, in the development, testing and implementation of payroll and accounts payable related changes and upgrades in the ERP systems includes implementation of system enhancements; system releases and system version upgrades.
- Ensures payroll internal controls are designed, implemented and maintained effectively for accurate preparation, approval, and processing of time.
- Preparation of internal reporting and analytics related to budget, actuals, forecasting, trend analysis and balance reporting.
- Provides technical advice to shape policies and procedures and prepares and provides payroll and accounts payable training for CRD staff.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Diploma, such as Accounting or Business Administration, and 5 years’ related experience in a payroll environment including 3 years providing advanced level guidance and direction in a complex union environment. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Registration and membership with the Canadian Payroll Association and must be certified as a Payroll Compliance Practitioner.
- Certified Payroll Manager designation considered an asset.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal and customer service skills are required.
- Excellent working knowledge of federal and provincial legislation, department regulations, and union agreements related to wage and salary administration.
- Knowledge of Public Sector Accounting Standards.
- Knowledge of the methods, practices, principles and procedures involved in the preparation, calculation and processing of payrolls in a multi-divisional environment.
- Requires advanced spreadsheet and word processing skills.
- Thorough knowledge of computerized payroll accounting and time capture systems.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze systems issues, anticipate and identify problems and makes recommendations for development.
- Demonstrated ability to operate in an integrated Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system, SAP experience is preferred.
- Excellent customer service, communication and interpersonal skills required to effectively work with the public and staff.
- Demonstrated ability act with professionalism and diplomacy and maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain positive professional working relationships.
- Proficiency and experience with computers and Microsoft software.
- Must possess a valid BC Driver’s License.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit your resume and covering letter online at www.crd.bc.ca under “Careers”.
The CRD thanks you for your interest and advises only those candidates under active consideration will be contacted.