FireSmart Coordinator - Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen
Competition No. 21-23E
Located in the south-central region of B.C., the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen covers an area over 10,400 km2 and is renowned for its orchards, vineyards and golf courses, as well as its widely varied landscape including deserts, mountains and valleys, and pristine lakes. Outdoor recreational opportunities are endless throughout the Regional District and residents enjoy a wide array of activities all year long.
Reporting to the Manager of Emergency Services, the FireSmart Coordinator position will provide coordination of FireSmart related activities within the RDOS and the nine Electoral Areas. The position is responsible for supporting, developing and implementing FireSmart activities in accordance with Provincial guidelines and the direction and policy provided by the RDOS.
- Diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution in a related field, supplemented by knowledge of wildfire fire prevention and mitigation, the FireSmart Program and some knowledge of emergency preparedness programs.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in a related position. A combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated experience in preparing and delivering public presentations and working effectively with a diverse range of stakeholder groups.
- Demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, and Excel).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Board, Committees, and a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to attain the Local FireSmart Representative qualifications.
- Ability to conduct qualitative and quantitative research and perform cost-benefit analysis.
- Ability to prepare contracts and requests for proposals/quotes.
- Ability to work flexible work hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Valid BC Driver’s Licence; experience towing trailers is considered an asset.
This temporary contract is expected to end in March 2022, but may be extended based on available grant funding. The hourly rate for the position is $34.00 plus 4% in lieu of vacation. Qualified individuals are invited to submit their applications in PDF format quoting Competition No. 21-23E by 4:00 pm, Sunday, May 9th, 2021, to:
Human Resources Department
Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen
101 Martin Street,
Penticton, BC V2A 5J9
Tel: 250-492-0237 Fax: 250-492-0063
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.