Manager, Financial Services - City of Whitehorse
Manager, Financial Services - 1195
Manager, Financial Services
Status of Position
Permanent Full Time
Job posting closes: Tuesday, May 18, 2021 by 5:00 pm (MST)
An Eligibility List may be established from this competition – the duration of the eligibility list may be up to 12 months. The eligibility list may be used to fill future permanent full-time, permanent part-time, temporary full-time, temporary part- time, term or casual vacancies within the same department and classification based on the organizational needs by going to the next highest ranked candidate until the eligibility list expires.
The City wishes to thank all applicants for their interest but only those candidates selected to advance in the recruitment will be contacted. Note that only those candidates eligible to legally work in Canada will be considered.
Manager Financial Services
Department: Financial Services Job Summary:
The incumbent coordinates all financial management, control, reporting and purchasing functions for the City and acts as custodian of its investments and assets.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages the operations of the Financial Services department including financial administration, property taxation, utility billing, accounting, budgeting, internal audit, fixed asset tracking, purchasing, payroll and data entry services.
- Recruits, directs, coaches and appraises direct reporting staff and through delegation coordinates the work of all Financial Services department staff.
- Performs the functions of Deputy Treasurer, co-ordinates the annual external audit, completes the annual financial statement, and compiles the annual report.
- Co-ordinates cash and debt management, including short term borrowing and/or investing of funds.
- Prepares and controls the Financial Services department’s annual operating, and capital budgets.
- Develops policies and procedures for accomplishing approved objectives for the effective delivery of financial services.
- Develops and implements a uniform process for preparing and compiling the operating and capital budgets for the City.
- Coordinates the City’s risk management and use of legal services.
- Ensures, so far as is reasonably practicable, that safety procedures and standards are followed by personnel throughout the department.
- In conjunction with the Director of Administrative Services, is designated the City Manager’s statutory signing authority for cheques and other financial instrument in accordance with Section 240 of the Municipal Act.
- Acts as the Director of Administrative Services as assigned.
This description contains elements necessary for identification and evaluation of the job. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.
Pleasant office environment. Frequent overtime (evening and weekend work).
Required Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Undergraduate degree in field relating to Accounting Professional Accounting designation
- Previous Experience-Minimum of 8 years experience with a minimum of 4 years at a supervisory or management level On-the-Job Experience – 1 year
- Proven collaborative problems solving skills
- Track record of leadership in proposing and influencing changes
- Well developed organizational, communications, and interpersonal skills Self directed and results oriented.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Examples of Equipment to Operate:
Office equipment, computer with applications including Outlook, Word, Excel, budgeting software, payroll software, financial system software and calculator.
Job seekers are required to create an online profile and submit their application electronically through the City's online Applicant system via www.whitehorse.ca/careers. Instructions on applications are provided at https://www.whitehorse.ca/departments/human-resources/how-to-apply. If you have any further questions regarding this posting, please contact the recruiter at HR@whitehorse.ca.
To apply for this position, you are required to submit your resume.
Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the recruiting process.
At the time this posting closes, candidates must have valid and current licenses/certifications/education that match the position requirements. Candidates who are selected to continue with the recruiting process will be required to provide proof of qualifications during their interview.
$68.64 - $85.74 per hour
Hours Per Week
Guaranteed Minimum Hours
Start Date of Position
Number of Hires Needed