Payroll & Accounting Clerk - Town of Turner Valley
Payroll & Accounting Clerk
Turner Valley is a picturesque community of 2,559 people, located just 30 minutes southwest of Calgary, Alberta. A great place to live, we are close enough to commute to Okotoks or Calgary, but far enough away to be immersed in a less stressful rural environment. The combination of affordable housing, quality medical care, fantastic schools, recreational opportunities, and wide-open spaces make Turner Valley an ideal location to live and work.
Payroll & Accounting Clerk
Finance and Corporate Services
Finance and Corporate Services Manager
An opportunity exists for an experienced accounting clerk who can contribute to the Finance and Corporate Services team. The successful candidate will be responsible for payroll, accounts payable, assist with accounts receivable and provide year end support.
The position requires a good understanding of Employment Standards, benefit administration and general accounting principles. Good communication and organizational skills and the ability to prioritize work to be done are necessary.
- Organize, schedule, perform and process payroll for employees, council and fire fighters.
- Ensure legislative and regulatory requirements are performed, including submission of Revenue Canada deductions and payments.
- Reconciliation of payroll accounts; including benefit deductions/payments, vacation and overtime liability accounts.
- Reconciliation of Revenue Canada deductions and payments.
- Distribution of benefit information.
- Assist with benefit enrolments and enquiries.
- Maintain employee payroll files.
- Generation of Records of Employment.
- Complete Statistics Canada Payroll Surveys.
- Complete WCB Annual Returns.
- Reconciliation and generation of year end payroll reports including T4’s.
- Creation of Journal Entries as required.
- Receive, compile, process accounts payable invoices including review of same for proper authorization and correct expense coding, cross checking for invoicing accuracy.
- Prepare vendor cheques in a timely manner. Process EFT file, print cheques and manage direct deposit vendor information.
- Reconciliation of vendor statements and communication with vendors regarding any discrepancies, matching invoices to purchase orders and following up on any discrepancies.
- Reconcile accounts payable at month end.
- Provide support with respect to accounts receivable.
- As required, process accounts receivable invoices based on information received from all Town departments.
- Reconciliation of accounts receivable at month end.
- Follow up with outstanding accounts receivable amounts as required.
- Participate in training exercises related to disaster response.
- Assist with Records Management
- Assist with submission of Canada Summer Student Grant and STEP Grant as well as records management for all other Town grants.
- Comfortable preparing journal entries as necessary.
- Assist in year end preparation work with external auditors.
- Contribute to team objectives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- One (1) year post-secondary diploma in Business Administration, Accounting or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 2 – 5 years related experience in a business environment in accounting, primary focus preparing and processing payroll and accounts payable.
- Efficient data entry skills with attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- Comfortable using accounting software.
- Proficient computer skills (MS Office; Work, Excel, SharePoint, and Outlook).
- Ability to communication effectively with the public and vendors.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and handle changing priorities in a deadline driven environment.
- Good problem solving and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently or within a team.
- Strong math skills and work experience with general administration activities.
ADDITIONAL DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Municipal experience an asset.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Familiarity with Muniware, Sharepoint and icompass software an asset.
Normal office working environment. Will be exposed to frequent interruptions.
- The Town of Turner Valley offers a competitive salary (commensurate with experience) and an excellent benefits package. Competition for this position will remain open until May 19, 2021 or until a suitable candidate is found.
- Job Type: Full-time, Temporary
- Contract length: Until December 31, 2022, may be extended.
- Schedule: 8am – 4:30pm weekdays (excluding holidays) but may also require work on some evenings.
Those interested in applying for this position are invited to send their resumes to:
Chief Administrative Officer
Mail: PO Box 330, Turner Valley, AB T0L 2A0
Re: Payroll and Accounting Clerk