Equipment Operator - Capital Regional District
Parks & Environmental Services – Regional Parks
|Hours of Work
||80 hours bi-weekly
|Rate of Pay
||$36.24 per hour (plus 14% in lieu of benefits)
|Review of applications begins
||4:00 pm on May 18, 2021
||The anticipated length of this term is 6 months
The Equipment Operator 3 provides project coordination for the construction of public facilities, including, trails, parking lots, buildings, ditches, waterlines, fences and playground equipment and provides operational support for environmental conservation and remediation projects.
The anticipated length of this term assignment is approximately 6 months.
|Duties & Responsibilities
- Operates a tandem axle dump truck, excavator (up to 27,000 kg.), backhoe, front end loader, bobcat, track dumper, flail mower, and other equipment in a variety of complex and sensitive settings within CRD Parks.
- Operates CRD Parks’ trucks and equipment trailer in excess of 10,000 kg GVWR.
- Performs daily maintenance of equipment operated in compliance with the Motor Vehicle Act.
- Loads and transports employees, equipment, and materials in accordance with Work Safe and Department of Transportation regulations.
- Displays a thorough understanding of equipment operation procedures and policies.
- Maintains positive working relationships with staff, contractors and service providers.
- Provides on-site direction to contracted trades people and park operations staff ensuring the work is carried out in a safe and efficient manner.
- Sources and secures procurement of construction materials.
- Works safely around public utilities and in accordance with BC One Call information.
- Processes and prioritizes internal work orders and provides technical advice on capital projects.
- Follows CRD Parks Planning specifications and standards.
- Reads, interprets and performs work accurately from design drawings and/or sketches.
- Follows technical specifications for universally accessible park facilities, mountain biking trails, drainage, environmental management and other construction requirements associated with external agencies, contractors and partners.
- Maintains current log of hours on equipment operated.
- Performs general interior and exterior housekeeping of vehicles.
- Performs physically demanding construction and maintenance work.
- Promotes a favourable public image for Regional Parks and the CRD at all times.
- Follows all policies, procedures and standards of the CRD
- Performs other related duties as required.
- High School graduation plus 3- 5 years’ related experience operating heavy equipment in protected areas.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal and customer service skills are required.
- Must possess a thorough understanding of equipment operation procedures and policies
- Working knowledge of the rules and precautions necessary to avoid accidents in and around CRD Parks’ facilities and equipment.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with managers, supervisors, contractors, employees and member of the public.
- Must be able to multi task and to balance changing workloads and priorities
- Knowledge and understanding of WorkSafeBC practices/protocols, Workers’ Compensation Act and OH&S Regulations and other relevant safety statutes.
- Must be physically fit to perform heavy, demanding, manual, physical work in all types of weather conditions.
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather conditions
- Must possess a valid Class 1 BC Driver’s Licence with an air brake ticket.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit your resume and covering letter online at www.crd.bc.ca under “Careers”.
The CRD thanks you for your interest and advises only those candidates under active consideration will be contacted.