Public Works Utility Maintenance Operator Two (2) - Village of Haines Junction
Village of Haines JunctionEmployment Opportunity
Public Works Utility Maintenance Operator Two (2)
Haines Junction lies on the edge of the vast and spectacular wilderness of Kluane National Park which contains the largest internationally protected area on earth and the planet’s largest non-polar ice fields. Haines Junction offers a wonderful lifestyle for the person who wishes to live closer to nature or who is an outdoor recreational enthusiast. We are in the southwestern corner of the Yukon and are approximately 160 kilometers from the capital city of Whitehorse. Haines Junction and the surrounding area is home to roughly 900 residents, and we are looking for one more!
The Village of Haines Junction invites applications for the permanent full- time position of Public Works Utility Maintenance Operator Two (2). We offer a competitive benefits package and a positive and highly diverse working environment. This is a bargaining unit position within the local of Y042 (Yukon Employees Union). Individuals with proven supervisory skills may be offered a position as Public Works Lead Hand (union position) or Public Works Foreman (non-union position).
Duties and Responsibilities
Water & Wastewater
The successful candidate will be expected to perform all the duties of a Water Operator Two (2) including those required of an Environmental Operator Certificate Program Direct Responsible Charge. Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Testing and calibrating; water, wastewater, instruments and controls for compliance and operation;
- Monitoring the performance and control of water and wastewater systems;
- Operate, service and inspect plant equipment, pumps, lift stations, hydrants, and associated infrastructure;
- Operate maintenance tools and heavy equipment including backhoe, excavator, wheel loader, dump truck, sewer flusher;
- Perform preventative maintenance and ensure maintenance and plant records are accurate and up to date;
- Develop and follow standard operating procedures for plant equipment and instrumentation;
- Assist in routine and emergency repairs to water and wastewater distribution systems;
- Complete water system certification training and continuing education requirements;
- Play a key role in managing and completing large capital projects; and,
- Participate in rotational after hours and weekend on-call/standby/overtime.
Haines Junction is a small municipality. All Public Works employees are required to perform duties in the following areas:
- Water and Wastewater;
- Landfill and Recycling;
- Roads and Streets;
- Parks, Trails and Greenspace; and,
- Facility Maintenance.
- Supervision and training of employees; and,
- Other duties may be assigned as required.
- Grade 12 or equivalent (G.E.D.);
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in municipal water utility or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Completion of recognized water and wastewater program, with a level two or higher certification in the discipline of water treatment;
- Valid Class 3 Yukon Motor Vehicle Operators Licence or equivalent, or willingness to obtain. Must be able to provide driver’s abstract;
- Ability to understand and operate SCADA systems;
- Able to meet the physical demands of the position, including outdoor work in inclement weather conditions;
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing;
- Ability to effectively use computer applications related to the position and duties;
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work alone under minimal supervision; and,
- Valid first aid certificate or willingness to obtain.
- Thorough knowledge of the operation, maintenance and construction of water distribution systems and sewage collection systems;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks;
- Skilled trades experience and proven ability to troubleshoot considered a strong asset; and,
- Experience in solid waste handling.
- Good mechanical aptitude;
- Training in confined space entrant/attendant, WHIMIS, TDG, Aerial platform, fire extinguisher, fall protection, lock out/tag out and traffic control considered an asset;
- Project management experience and/or training;
- Physically fit, with handling objects up to 30kgs required routinely; and,
- Proven ability to supervise staff.
The Collective Agreement starting wage for this position will be $33.81 – $38.58 per hour, depending upon experience and certifications.
Please submit a cover letter, resumes, and enquiries to:
Dan Rodin, Chief Administrative Officer
Village of Haines Junction
Box 5339 Haines Junction, Yukon, Y0B 1L0
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted. This position will remain open until filled.