Utility Operator 2 - City of Williams Lake
City of Williams Lake
Utility Operator 2
For lifestyle, Williams Lake’s mixture of frontier charm and urban living can’t be beat. A regional centre with all major amenities. Living and housing is very affordable with a range of residential opportunities from modern urban subdivisions and townhouses to large rural properties. The attractive mix of high-quality lifestyle and surrounding pristine wilderness playground makes Williams Lake a great place to live, work, play, and raise a family.
Williams Lake offers year-round opportunities for outdoor enthusiasts. In the winter, the Cariboo offers snowmobiling opportunities and amazing cross-country ski trails, as well as snowshoeing and ice fishing. Williams Lake, known across North America as the “Shangri-La of Mountain Biking”, boasts the largest mountain bike park in the British Columbia’s interior, and over 200 kilometres of single track trails and tens of thousands of board feet of lumber constructing a variety of riding features all within metres of the City. The lake city is a great base for hiking, camping, four-wheeling, waterskiing, swimming, golfing and sport fishing as well. Our indoor recreation facilities are first rate, with the Cariboo Memorial Recreational Complex offering a brand new leisure pool with waterslide, new lap pool, steam room, sauna, massive swirl pool along with two arena ice sheets, and a brand new fitness centre.
Utility Operator 2 – FT
CURRENT RATE OF PAY:
$34.12 plus benefits
HOURS OF WORK:
40 hours per week, shift work and overtime as required including evenings/weekends
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The incumbent is responsible for carrying out instructions as required within the Water/ Waste Division of the Municipal Services Department.
The incumbent is responsible to the Director of Municipal Services under the direction of the Manager of Municipal Services and/or designate.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manual labour in construction, repair and maintenance within the Water and Waste Division.
- Ability to perform maintenance and repairs in regards to all aspects of the Water Distribution, Sanitary Sewer and Storm Water Collection systems.
- Ability to determine the location of gas, telephone, power, television and other utility lines from the appropriate sources prior to excavation.
- Responsible for the crew to ensure that inventory items removed from the warehouse to undertake project or maintenance work are correctly accounted for as required by the Purchasing Agent.
- Assists with the responsibility for the crew in ensuring safe work practices are used on the job site. Shall work within the safety guidelines as established by the City, WorkSafe BC and assists in the development of safer and more efficient methods of work.
- Ability to review and orient other employees in safe work practices as they pertain to the water and sewer treatment facilities.
- Shall respond to call-out for emergency maintenance and repair work at short notice and work in inclement weather conditions.
- Shall be required to work shift work as scheduled and overtime as required.
- Other related duties as may be assigned to assist with the City’s day to day operations.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum Grade XII
- Valid B.C. Driver's License - Class 3 with Air Endorsement.
- Full Certifications required for the position: Water Distribution Level II Certification of Qualification or Competency from Environmental Operators Certification Program AND Wastewater Collection Level II Certification of Qualification or Competency from Environmental Operators Certification Program (WWC Level I may be considered at the Employers discretion).
- Other combinations or EOCP Certifications considered.
- Minimum of 3 years previous experience in Municipal water & sewer maintenance or related water & sewer maintenance work.
- Shall be proficient and safely operate all equipment and tools within the Water/Sewer Division.
- Equipment exempt from this position:
- Shall be capable of understanding, reporting verbally and by written report in English and accept and comprehend verbal instructions.
- Must be willing to undertake additional training in the correct operation of new tools and equipment with respect to water distribution and waste water collection.
- Must undertake additional training and education with respect to Water Distribution
andWastewater Collection, Wastewater Treatment and/or Water Treatment certification, as a statutory requirement under the associated legislation.
- Shall be required to participate as a member of the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) standby group.
- Shall have the ability to work with others as a team.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed resume and cover letter outlining qualifications, experience, copies of applicable certifications, and letters of reference no later than 4:00 pm, Friday, May 14, 2021 to the attention of Ashley Williston, Director of Human Resources, City of Williams Lake, 450 Mart Street, Williams Lake, BC, V2G 1N3 - Fax (250) 392-8484, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, thank you.