Manager, Legislative Services - Town of Turner Valley
Manager, Legislative Services
Turner Valley is a picturesque community of 2,559 people, located just 30 minutes southwest of Calgary, Alberta. A great place to live, we are close enough to commute to Okotoks or Calgary, but far enough away to be immersed in a less stressful rural environment. The combination of affordable housing, quality medical care, fantastic schools, recreational opportunities, and wide-open spaces make Turner Valley an ideal location to live and work.
Manager, Legislative Services
Chief Administrative Officer (CAO)
- Manage the operational and fiscal activities of the department.
- Plan and develop systems and procedure to improve the operating quality and efficiency of the department.
- Supervise and direct staff in accordance with Town policies and procedures.
- Establish employee goals and provide sufficient guidance, leadership, and support to ensure employees can accomplish these goals.
- Monitor employee progress and conduct performance reviews.
- Focus on consistent and effective communication with CAO, other managers, and staff, regarding departmental operations.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the CAO.
- Carry out delegated duties from Section 208 of the MGA, as directed by the CAO.
- Act as Legislative Services Designated Officer, in accordance with Bylaw 19-1090
- Provide legislative advice to Mayor and Council.
- Provide legislative advice to the CAO and Managers.
- Preparation of Council and committee agendas as directed by CAO.
- Attendance at Council and assigned committee meetings to record or oversee the transcription of minutes.
- Ensure record keeping of all legislated actions.
- Responsible for Bylaw drafting, development, maintenance, and review.
- Responsible for policy and procedure drafting, development maintenance, and review.
- Maintain and upkeep Council Resolution and Bylaw indexes.
- Schedule and advertise all legislated meetings.
- Co-ordinate Board and Committee Citizen Appointments, maintenance and upkeep of database and required advertising for vacancies.
- Ensure follow-up on action items determined at Council, committee of Council; inter-municipal, and quasi-judicial meetings.
- Responsible for Corporate Records Management, both paper and digital.
- Responsible for approval of all correspondence with senior levels of Provincial and Federal Government.
- Administration and provision of FOIP Coordinator duties.
- Co-ordination of Municipal Elections – Act as Returning Officer
- Co-ordination of Municipal Census.
- Act as Subdivision and Development Appeal Board Clerk
- Provide for administrative support to Mayor and Council, Committees of Council, Inter-municipal committees, and quasi-judicial bodies that serve the Town.
- Provide administrative support to CAO and Managers.
- Co-ordinate the scheduling and booking of joint meeting rooms.
- Shall participate in weekly management meetings.
- Shall participate in training exercises related to disaster response.
- 3 years of related experience in a municipal government environment.
- Certificate in Office Administration or a related post secondary education.
- High School diploma.
- Valid Class 5 Alberta Driver's License.
- Advanced skills in use of Microsoft Office 365.
ADDITIONAL DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Enrolment in or completion of FOIP training through Alberta Municipal Affairs
- Knowledge and ability to interpret appropriate Acts and Legislation.
- Ability to multi-task and maintain appropriate confidentiality.
- A Certificate in Local Authority Administration, Public Administration or Business Administration
- Experience with iCompass, Sharepoint and Muniware software
- Meeting Minute transcription and report writing skills.
- Proficient skills in OBS/YouTube video recording
- Ability and willingness to participate in appropriate training and/or upgrading as required.
A more detailed job description can be found at https://turnervalley.ca/employment/
- The Town of Turner Valley offers a competitive salary (commensurate with experience) and an excellent benefits package. Competition for this position will remain open until May 19, 2021 or until a suitable candidate is found.
- Job Type: Full-time, Temporary
- Contract length: Until December 31, 2022, may be extended.
- Schedule: 8am – 4:30pm weekdays (excluding holidays) but will also require work some evenings and very occasional weekends.
- Those interested in applying for this position are invited to send their resumes to:
Chief Administrative Officer
Mail: PO Box 330, Turner Valley, AB T0L 2A0