Permanent Full Time
High Prairie Administration Office
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the Director of Finance directs, controls, supports and co-ordinates the following functions; financial planning, accounting, banking and investments, assessment and taxation, customer service, utility customer transactions, insurance, risk management, and corporate legal liability.
Key Roles & Responsibilities:
This position is responsible for ensuring that Part 8 of the Municipal Government Act is adhered to. There are ancillary sections of the MGA that the Director of Finance needs to have sufficient knowledge in; Part 9 Assessment of Property, and Part 10 Taxation. This position is also responsible for providing financial and administrative leadership and direction for the long-term financial sustainability of the County. The duties and responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to the following:
- Monitor the operation of the Finance Department, along with the performance of its staff, to ensure consistency with County policy and statutory requirements.
- Carry out the duties of Director of Finance by managing County revenues and reserve funds through provision of banking, investment, and cash flow projection services.
- Plan and oversee the County’s overall financial management activities including budgeting, reporting, accounting, insurance, and treasury support.
- Monitor and recommend appropriate financial control processes and policies.
- Compile prepare (in discussion with the management team) and recommend the overall County operating and capital budgets and associated tax rates and present this material to the Chief Administrative Officer for final presentation to Council.
- Ensure that financial management and reporting is carried out in a timely and effective manner.
- Ensure that appropriate insurance coverage is maintained for County assets, as required, and ensure the maintenance of the County’s tangible capital asset registry (known as City Wide).
- Responsible for the management, development and monitoring of employees and ensuring continued personal growth is maintained by all staff.
- In conjunction with Auditors and staff, prepare the necessary year-end working papers and applicable audited financial statements pursuant to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and practices.
- Responsible to prepare the monthly financial report, for both operating and capital accounts showing the County’s financial position against the approved budget. Financial report is present to Council.
- Attend all meetings designated by the CAO which may include Council, Regional Landfill, Committees and Boards, appointed by Council, and assist in the decision-making process by providing advice, guidance and consultation as required.
- When the CAO is absent, the Director of Finance may perform Acting CAO duties.
- Perform any other duties as may be required by the CAO.
Education & Experience:
- CGA, CMA or CA designation is desirable, a combination of other relevant education and experience may be considered.
- A minimum of five years’ experience at a senior level in the financial accounting and reporting field of a municipality or government organization; five years’ auditing experience of municipal government may also be considered. Experience in non-municipal government area may also be considered.
- Experience with computerized financial systems. Familiarity with Great Plains and Diamond Municipal Solutions would be an asset.
- Experience in liaison with public works staff in capital works and infrastructure improvement programs would be an asset.
- Must be bondable.
- Criminal Records Check
- Provide current 5-year drivers abstract
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- A strong team player that can work collaboratively with senior management, elected officials, volunteer boards, committees, and employees.
- An understanding of the Municipal Government Act (MGA) would be of benefit.
- Ability to apply computer tools to work projects, examples would be Excel/Word/ Access/FRX/F9 etc.
Working Conditions & Physical Environment:
- Extensive use of computer and telephone.
- Long periods of sitting, good lighting, temperature, and noise control.
- Medium physical effort in relation to the season; occasional light-moderate lifting.
- Use and operation of a vehicle.
- Regular working day consists of 7.25 hours
- Some travel may be required.
Health & Safety:
- All personnel working at Big Lakes County are governed by Big Lakes County Health and Safety Policy.
- Ensure proper ergonomic requirements are met and good ergonomic procedures are practiced.
- Ensure proper safety training and safe work practices for Community & Protective Services staff.
Note: the above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities require of the positions.
Salary: $146,074.60 – $172,159.35 ($6,086.44 - $7,173.31 semi-monthly)
Submit cover letter and resume, including references to:
Human Resources Manager
Big Lakes County
Box 239, High Prairie, AB T0G 1E0
Ph: 780-523-5955 Fx: 780-523-4227
Deadline for applications: Open until suitable candidate is found.
Big Lakes County thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Visit our website at www.biglakescounty.ca for more information.