Agriculture and Environment Program Coordinator - Wheatland County
Agriculture and Environment Program Coordinator
242006 Range Rd. 243,
Wheatland County, AB T1P 2C4
The Agriculture and Environment Program Coordinator is responsible for the development, implementation, and monitoring of various agriculture and environment programs for Wheatland County.
The Agriculture and Environment Program Coordinator will also provide technical expertise regarding environmental regulations governing Wheatland County’s operations and will respond to environmental inquiries of internal staff and ratepayers.
- Develop, implement, and monitor corporate and community-wide environmental strategies that align with the commitments of Wheatland County’s Environmental Policy.
- Maintain support and resources for an environmental program at the County through effective reporting to the Agricultural Service Board (ASB), Council, management, and partners; participate in the budgeting process, and investigate additional funding sources.
- Stay up-to-date regarding the regulatory and non-regulatory environmental requirements applicable to Wheatland County’s operations; support corporate regulatory compliance and promote best management practices.
- Work with other staff members to effectively communicate agriculture and environment achievements and initiatives and develop educational and promotional materials.
- Promote stewardship of the environment to both internal staff and the Wheatland County community through engagement, education, and effective communication.
- Provide technical expertise to internal staff and the external community by responding to agriculture and environment inquiries in a professional and timely manner.
- Liaise with other Wheatland County departments and support their involvement with environmental strategies; support and / or lead other environmental initiatives at the County.
- Pursue opportunities for partnership and collaboration with external organizations that have a mutual interest in environmental stewardship and agriculture at Wheatland County.
- Work in collaboration with the Agricultural Conservation Coordinator and support the activities of the Agricultural and Environment Department in general.
- Assist with compliance of the Weed Control Act, Agricultural Pests Act, and the Soil Conservation Act.
- Participate in crop disease and pest surveys as required.
- Ensure adherence to all applicable Wheatland County policies and bylaws.
- Ensure compliance with OH&S including attendance at safety meetings, being properly trained in OH&S related topics, and ensuring work is completed in a safe manner.
- Appropriately, and in a timely manner complete administrative tasks when required.
- Relate to and communicate with co-workers, management, external community and vendors sincerely, clearly, tactfully, promptly and courteously; respond to inquiries and complaints promptly and professionally.
- Perform tasks, consistent with the position, including special projects / assignments, as may be required on an ad hoc basis.
- Post-secondary diploma or degree from a recognized educational institution that focuses on environmental science, or a related discipline
- 2-3 years of experience in a related field; agriculture and municipal experience would be considered an asset
- Proficiency in the use of computer programs including MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams); proficiency in the use of GIS and GPS technology would be an asset
- Valid Class 5 Alberta drivers’ licence
- Effective organizational and time management skills
- Effective interpersonal communication skills
- Effective written communication skills
- Ability to make public presentations and verbal reports
- Ability to organize and lead internal and public consultation efforts
- Effective facilitation skills for working with committees to develop, implement, and monitor environmental programs
- Ability to work effectively independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- This position works a 5-day work week, Monday to Friday; hours of work: standard 37.5- hour work week
- Occasional overtime may be required
If this job is a good fit for you, please apply online at https://wheatlandcounty.ca/careers/ .
Competition Number: P21-20
Closing Date: May 14, 2021