Economic Development Recovery Officer - District of Port Hardy
District of Port Hardy
Economic Development Recovery Officer
18 Month Contract Position
Come “Live the Adventure” with us
Located on the northern most tip of beautiful Vancouver Island, on the traditional territory of the Kwakiutl people, where the pavement ends and adventure begins, Port Hardy is a wilderness paradise with tremendous outdoor assets including world-class diving, sports fishing, caving, kayaking and hiking. Affordable housing, clean air, and a welcoming community make Port Hardy a great place to work, play and live.
The position of Economic Development Recovery Officer is an excellent opportunity to assist the District in fulfilling its objective to support the community through the COVID-19 Pandemic and recovery as we go forward. This an eighteen-month (18) term position available on a full time basis (35 hours per week). This challenging and unique opportunity, reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Economic Recovery Officer will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Review the existing Economic Development Plan (2012);
- Consult, create and update the existing plan with pandemic recovery as key focus for the community;
- Work with the local Chamber of Commerce on how supports can be provided by the District to the business community;
- Work with the Visitor Centre on how supports can be provided by the District for tourism recovery programs for future visitors to the community;
- Review plans created within the region and develop strategies that the District may provide assistance to support success;
- Establish action plans that are consistent with the provisions of the Community Charter and Local Government Act;
- Review the Council Strategic Plan and Asset Management Plan to develop shovel ready projects including coordinating with contractors, consultants, and engineering to develop strong costs for submission with a focus on wording that will assist us in our capacity building to submit grant applications to ensure that we have access to much needed funds;
- Prepare grant applications as they come available through the term of the position;
- Create materials including advertising that will support attraction and retention to the North Island; and,
- Develop strategies that will make the District economy stronger as we transition and navigate reduced or increased resource-based businesses.
The ideal candidate will have:
- An undergraduate degree in Commerce, Public or Business Administration or a related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in a related role, preferably in a local government environment. This experience shall include some related aspects of budget maintenance.
- The ability to provide leadership to rural communities in the achievement of community goals and objectives.
- A proven experience working in a fluid, changing environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work with change and help others move towards a shared and common vision.
- Experience in project management, project/program delivery, event planning/coordination and resource management is an asset.
- Strong problem solving, decision making and analytical skills. Ability to prepare and deliver oral presentations and communicate effectively with various stakeholders.
- Ability to communicate in a courteous and tactful manner.
- Demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Publisher and Excel).
- Ability to work flexible work hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Valid B.C. Driver’s Licence.
The District offers an hourly rate of $38.00 p/hour plus 11% in lieu of benefits. Please visit our website for a detailed job description and required qualifications. https://porthardy.ca/municipal-hall/staff/employment-opportunities/
To find out more about what adventure awaits visit https://porthardy.ca/visitors/our- region/attractions-amenities/
Applications will be welcomed until May 10, 2021 at 12:00 pm. Please forward your detailed resume with a cover letter that reflects your knowledge, skills, abilities relevant to the position, how this position meets with your goals and what attracts you to this position to: Heather Nelson-Smith, CAO, District of Port Hardy, PO Box 68, 7360 Columbia Street, Port Hardy, BC, V0N2P0 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Economic Development Recovery Officer
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position and advise that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.