Senior Manager, Economic Development and Policy - City of Winnipeg
The City of Winnipeg is a vibrant and dynamic organization with many opportunities!
We offer a diverse and welcoming work environment that delivers quality services to our citizens.
Senior Manager, Economic Development and Policy
Office of the CAO
Posting No: 19716
Closing Date: April 15, 2021
The City of Winnipeg is accepting applications for the position of Senior Manager, Economic Development and Policy. Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) The Senior Manager, Economic Development and Policy is responsible for developing, implementing, monitoring and reporting on strategic economic initiatives that are aligned with long-range economic development; business development and expedited services, trade and investment and / or strategic economic initiatives. The successful candidate undertakes activities and fosters partnerships that support the development of Winnipeg as a location of choice for investment/ trade, enterprise and growth working with Economic Development Winnipeg (EDW) and other organizations including Business Improvement Zones and the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce. Reporting to this position is the City Economist and Manager of Film and Special Events who will assist the successful candidate in achieving post COVID-19 economic recovery efforts.
As the Senior Manager, Economic Development and Policy you will:
- Develop/Lead the economic development and policy process to ensure alignment between external stakeholders and administrative plans/actions.
- Act as a primary contact and expeditor for developers and/or businesses looking to open in Winnipeg and work with Departments to provide complete and timely responses to enquiries.
- Be the City liaison for all Winnipeg Metro Region economic development work, projects and initiatives.
- Participate in business planning, strategic planning, research initiatives and performance management for specific initiatives in support of economic development.
- Provide leadership and direction for economic and policy development initiatives.
- Provide research, education, analysis, advice, on key economic and policy development processes/initiatives.
- Lead both research and public consultation sessions.
- Provide leadership, supervision and strategic direction to professional and administrative staff, to foster a positive work culture.
Your education and qualifications include:
- A Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, or a related field, complimented with a University Degree in Finance, Economics, Commerce or a related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in economic development, finance or another closely related policy area in a large multi-faceted organization.
- Experience working in policy development in a government, public sector, and/or private sector setting.
- 5 years’ experience working in a supervisory/management capacity in a related role.
- Ability to build effective working relationships with senior administration, Council, senior officials in private industry, post-secondary education institutions, provincial and federal governments and other organizations.
- Ability to manage complex projects and develop policy in a government, public sector, and/or private sector environment, all while analyzing broad concepts/complex issues and identifying risks/practical solutions.
- Extensive knowledge of the local and provincial economy as well as key issues and challenges facing local businesses.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work in a fast-paced deadline driven environment.
- Effective communication skills, with the ability to conduct public speaking with a strong emphasis on securing commitment to new ideas and directions.
- Effective analytical and decision-making skills.
- Experience building consensus, generating common understanding and creating a shared vision in an environment of diverse stakeholders and interests.
- Knowledge of budgeting and planning processes.
- Knowledge of systems thinking and continuous improvement concepts and theory.
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite – Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook and other software applications.
- Knowledge of local government issues as well as the City of Winnipeg Act, regulations, by-laws, policies, “Our Winnipeg”, procedures and other legislation is considered an asset.
- Knowledge of the City Federal/Provincial legislation, policy and programs related to business development, investment/trade, enterprise, innovation and growth.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of community planning, land use/growth management concepts, infrastructure improvement planning and capital facilities budgeting.
- Knowledge and experience in the implementation of a complex strategic plan involving multiple departments.
Conditions of employment:
- The successful applicant must maintain legal eligibility to work in Canada. If the successful applicant possesses a work permit, it is their responsibility to ensure the permit remains valid.
- A Police Information Check, satisfactory to the employer will be required from the successful candidate(s), at their expense. To obtain a Police Information Check please visit www.winnipeg.ca/police.
- Citizen & Customer Focus
- Respecting Diversity
- Ethics and Values
- Integrity and Trust
- Results Oriented
How to Apply
APPLY ONLINE, including all documentation listed below:
- Current resume AND/OR Application Form (Required).
- Applications submitted without REQUIRED documentation will not be considered.
Online applications can be submitted at http://www.winnipeg.ca/hr/. For instructions on how to apply and how to attach required documents please refer to our FAQ's or contact 311. The City of Winnipeg uses the Korn Ferry Leadership Architect Competency Model as part of the recruitment process.
The salary range for this position is $108,136.28 to $145,667.87 per annum (Grade 8)
We have great benefits and competitive salaries, and we are committed to ongoing learning and career development!
WE SEEK DIVERSITY IN OUR WORKPLACE. INDIGENOUS PERSONS, WOMEN, VISIBLE MINORITIES, AND PERSONS WITH A DISABILITY ARE ENCOURAGED TO SELF-DECLARE.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Requests for Reasonable Accommodation will be accepted during the hiring process.