Full-Time Position (35 hours a week)
The Town of Calmar is an ideally situated commuter town located in the greater Edmonton Metro Region. A close 20-minute drive to city centre amenities, entertainment, and places of work yet far enough to maintain a small- town feel. With a population of 2,300 our prosperous agricultural community boasts two first-rate schools, a technical labour force and a young growing population. The town is surrounded by year-round tourism destinations that offer the highest quality of work-life balance as well as vibrant, locally owned businesses that thrive in a supported business-first community.
Reporting to the Town Manager, the Director of Corporate Services is a designated professional who serves as a senior strategic partner, providing financial leadership and direction to the organization which supports both Council and Town goals and priorities and must understand legislation and governance trends and the potential impact on service levels. Responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Development, coordination, and presentation of the annual budget (operating and capital), including analysis of available funding, risks, alternate strategies, and impacts; and ensuring Department Heads adhere to and administer budgets appropriately throughout the year. Provide leadership and oversight for all financial and accounting operational functions, including forecasting, reporting and analysis.
- Ensuring alignment of financial reporting and accounting with the Municipal Government Act and all other legislation.
- Overseeing Town investment and Cash Management and ensuring a high integrity of Internal Controls.
- Accountability for all Town financial reporting and auditing processes.
- Will be the lead role in Collaboration with Department Heads and the Town Manager, to establish organizational strategy and business planning, including participating in the development of short, medium and long-term plans and programs as a strategic partner and advisor.
- Interpret Bylaws, All Acts and related statutory documents and respond to requests for information from the public.
- With the cooperation of the Department Heads, will assume the leadership position to review, develop, and implement a corporate HR program as well a Supervisory role will be in place.
- Initiates and drives consultative policy development processes that captures the culture and values of Council.
- Is responsible for the Town’s overall financial position and reports efficiencies and deficiencies to Council and the CAO.
- Responsible for a wide variety of services including recruitment and selection, compensation & benefits, performance management, job descriptions & classifications, labour relations and negotiations, staff development training, human rights.
- Will be appointed Acting Town Manager when need be and may have to attend the occasional meeting in the evenings.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Town Manager.
Interested applicants should possess the following skills and qualifications:
Post-secondary education in Business or Public Administration
Accounting designation and/or significant experience in finance or accounting. Acceptable equivalences will be considered.
National Advanced Certificate in Local Authority Administration I and II would be an asset.
Experience in Municipal operation and management would be an asset.
Knowledge & experience with Diamond (Great Plains) municipal software technology is preferred.
Experience in human resource management would be an asset.
Excellent interpersonal skills along with verbal, written and presentation abilities. Strong facilitation skills.
Valid Alberta Class 5 driver’s license.
The successful applicant must provide a criminal record check.
The Town of Calmar offers a highly attractive total compensation package, including competitive salary, excellent benefits, learning & development opportunities as well as a great work environment which provides excellent opportunities for professional growth.
Please forward resume in confidence – including qualifications, experiences, and references to:
Town of Calmar
Attention: Kathy Krawchuk, Town Manager, Private and Confidential at email@example.com
Or drop off in person (please ring doorbell) at 4901-50 Avenue, Calmar, Alberta T0C 0V0
Competition will remain open until the fitting candidate is found.
The Town of Calmar thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those applicants being considered for the position will be contacted.