City Solicitor - City of Edmonton
City of Edmonton
ABOUT THE CITY OF EDMONTON
With a population reaching one million people, Edmonton is one of Canada’s fastest growing cities.
Edmonton’s character is marked by its openness, inventiveness, risk taking and collaboration. People and organizations work together here to solve problems and go after opportunities.
The City’s population is among Canada’s youngest. Six post secondary institutions turn out thousands of graduates each year, who are ready to work and eager to bring their ideas to life. Diversity, rich culture and arts, and a strong social fabric add to Edmonton’s strengths.
Edmonton is a relationship-based city that believes fundamentally that when we listen and work together, we make better decisions. We get to better places. We achieve better outcomes.
“Working together, and aligned with Council’s vision, we enable a better life for all Edmontonians.”
Our cultural commitments form the basis for how City of Edmonton staff work together to achieve this vision and serve City Council, the public, and each other:
Safe - We value, respect, and protect the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of each other and those we serve.
Helpful - We care about people’s experiences. We work with them and for them to seize opportunities, address challenges, and deliver outstanding service.
Accountable - We are trusted and empowered to embrace our responsibility for our actions, decisions, and behaviours.
Integrate - We get the best results when we align our diverse ideas, knowledge, and efforts in shared purpose.
Excellent - We perform to the highest standard. We passionately pursue innovation and continuously improve ourselves, our teams, and our city.
Reporting to the City Manager, the City Solicitor is responsible for planning, organizing, and leading the work of the Legal Services Branch in alignment with the overall corporate direction and vision of the organization. With a strong focus on building and sustaining collaborative, respectful and effective relationships, the City Solicitor will also work with the Executive Leadership Team and all Branch Managers across the organization. This position provides high quality and effective legal advocacy, advice and services through corporate leadership, strategic management, system alignment, relationship management, performance measurement and financial stewardship.
Qualifications & Experience
The ideal candidate will possess relevant academic preparation including an undergraduate degree from an accredited Canadian law school and is a member in good standing with the Law Society of Alberta (or eligible to practice in Alberta). The incumbent will possess extensive experience working as a lawyer in a leadership capacity. In addition, the ideal candidate will have proven accomplishments in the following areas:
- Progressively responsible senior leadership experience managing a team in a large, complex organization.
- Extensive experience applying leadership principles with stakeholders, clients and staff members from both operational and corporate perspectives.
- Experience and success creating a strategic vision and direction for a large, diverse organization/unit.
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing change, building organizational talent and empowering resources to achieve outcomes.
- Significant experience managing teams accountable for providing advice and direction related to politically sensitive and complex issues.
- A track record of seeing the bigger picture and advising on impacts of future decisions.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Municipal Government Act is highly desirable.
- A breadth of legal knowledge across a variety of fields, with specific expertise in Corporate, commercial, administrative, employment and labour law.
- Ability to use the consultative process to develop solutions or strategies in an environment with a variety of needs.
- Experience acting as a key advisor in an organizational environment is desirable.
- Political awareness (ability to read and understand the political/strategic environment).
- Demonstrated knowledge of long-term financial management and strategic business planning.
FOR INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
Anurag Shourie or Cecilia Oteiza Ayres
Leaders International Executive Search
Suite 501 Fox One
10226 – 104 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 1B8
For a complete copy of the Opportunity Profile or to apply visit: https://leadersinternational.com/city-of-edmonton-city-solicitor/