Director, Development Planning - City of Abbotsford
Director, Development Planning
Exempt, Full Time
At the City of Abbotsford our people are our greatest asset. We offer a wide range of diverse, stimulating and rewarding career opportunities that support and recognize high levels of performance. In Abbotsford, we work strongly to create a challenging yet rewarding environment for our employees to thrive. We invite you to become part of a place that has strong corporate and organizational values, rewarding career paths, challenging opportunities, and an engaging and dynamic team to work with.
Be part of the story. Join our team today.
The City of Abbotsford’s Planning & Development Department is looking for a self-motivated and driven professional to join their team as Director, Development Planning. The Director is a vital member of our Planning & Development Services Department leadership team; this position oversees the Development Planning Department, including development applications and environmental reviews, ensuring that land development and use is consistent with the OCP, City bylaws and policies, and in accordance with sound planning principles, provincial and federal statutory requirements, and environmentally sustainable practices.
This unique opportunity calls for a dynamic, result oriented professional with strong communication, organizational skills, and managing people skills. The role is suited to a proven leader with a thorough knowledge of building code, applicable bylaws and regulations, as well as the Local Government Act and Community Charter. The incumbent will be called upon to speak to Development Applications, reviewing/approving reports to Council, and the presentation of those report to Council, and Review/issuance of Development Permits.
The City is looking for a natural team leader and change-agent, committed to building and fostering a cooperative, collaborative and professional culture in the workplace.
In addition, the ideal candidate will possess:
- a degree in Planning with post-graduate degree (masters) in a relevant discipline a combination of education and experience that is commensurable with the position and current member of the Planners Institute of BC
- a minimum of 10 years of progressive related work experience, including a minimum of five years in a management role;
- a thorough knowledge, land development and land use planning principles;
- a thorough knowledge of municipal legislation, acts, regulations, codes, and standards related to all types of development and building construction; and
- experience in a public sector setting is desirable; especially in managing a union work force.
At the City of Abbotsford we work strongly to create a challenging and rewarding environment for our employees to thrive. We offer ongoing personal and professional development opportunities, competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package. To apply, please visit us online at www.abbotsford.ca/careers
Closing Date: April 30, 2021