Learn-to-Skate Instructors - City of Abbotsford
Abbotsford Recreation Centre, Matsqui Recreation Centre, MSA Arena
Dependent on program registration, approximately 4hrs/week
Hiring is ongoing based on program needs. The term of each contract is approximately 6 months with the possibility of an extension or renewal.
We are seeking creative and enthusiastic individuals with a keen interest in skating, and passion for teaching all ages. A background in skating instruction or coaching is preferred; however, applicants with enthusiasm and potential can enroll in a Recreational Skating Instructor Course. The successful candidates will have an opportunity to work at any or all 3 arenas.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate(s) will be responsible for:
- Planning, implementing and teaching skating lessons for all ages including preschool, children and adults.
- Assessing and completing skating evaluations, providing support to other team members, and ensuring that their activity areas and equipment are safe.
- Providing outstanding customer service to our participants.
- Previous skating instruction or coaching experience
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a culturally diverse community setting.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills
- Standard First Aid and CPR C with AED certification or higher
- Customer service is an asset
- Completion of the CanSkate Instructor course or coaching certificate would be an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of skating instruction techniques and skill progressions.
- Considerable knowledge of hazards, related precautions and safety regulations related to this work.
- Some knowledge of the operation of an ice rink facility
- Ability to assess and evaluate participants skating skill proficiency and to maintain related class records.
- Ability to motivate students and provide a positive, safe, fun learning environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain a healthy working relationship with staff and patrons.
- Ability to work effectively, multitask and prioritize
- Knowledge of the City of Abbotsford Learn to Skate program is an asset
The candidate is required to provide a satisfactory criminal record check in order to work in this position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
Business Department: Abbotsford Parks, Recreation and Culture
Employment Type: Contract
Position Start date: April 2021
Rate of Pay: $16.00 per hour plus an additional 4% in lieu of vacation.
Please apply online at www.abbotsford.ca/careers