Labourer - Municipality of North Cowichan
Competition No. 2021-16
$29.70 /hr (CUPE Local 358)
The Municipality of North Cowichan (population 30,000) is located in the beautiful Cowichan Valley on Southern Vancouver Island, between Nanaimo and Victoria. Our communities of Chemainus, Crofton, Maple Bay, and the South End including University Village, are home to a multitude of artistic, cultural and outdoor recreational activities. The Municipality provides a stable and varied work environment, competitive pay and benefits.
The Municipality of North Cowichan invites applications from candidates with the proven skills, qualifications and abilities for the position of Labourer on a temporary basis, working up to full-time hours, for up to twenty-four (24) months. If you are self-motivated, looking to take on a new challenge where you can make a difference, enjoy both responsibility and accountability, and are ready to join one of British Columbia’s most inclusive and environmentally conscious municipalities, we look forward to receiving your application!
Required Skills, Qualifications and Abilities:
- Completion of Grade 12.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Class 3 B.C. Driver's License with air endorsement; a satisfactory current driver's abstract will be required.
- Operation of sanders, plows and refuse packers including scheduled night shifts, shift work and weekends.
- Preference may be given to candidates with grounds maintenance, construction, road maintenance or utility system backgrounds and/or who have demonstrable ability to undertake road machinery operation duties.
- Demonstrable ability to perform physical labouring duties.
- Demonstrable ability to operate related maintenance tools and equipment.
- Demonstrable ability to organize and maintain basic records.
- Independence of judgment and capability of working alone under minimal supervision in a safe and efficient manner.
- The position may be physically demanding; candidate must be able to successfully perform all duties associated with the position. A medical certificate attesting to suitability for this position may be required.
This is a unionized position (CUPE Local 358) and the collective agreement may be viewed on our website.
Candidates being considered will be required to undergo a comprehensive evaluation of skills, qualifications, and abilities. The successful candidate will be required to undergo a criminal record check.
Visit the Municipality of North Cowichan Career Portal at www.northcowichan.ca/jobs to apply for this position.
Please note that all candidates must apply via the Career Portal; we do not accept resumes via email or hard copy.
OPEN UNTIL FILLED