Bylaw Enforcement Officer - District of Stewart
District of Stewart
Bylaw Enforcement Officer
District of Stewart:
Situated across from Alaska's Misty Fiords National Park and at the end of the Portland Canal, Stewart, BC is a unique border town attracting tourists from every corner of the world.
Located in the “Golden Triangle” the economy of Stewart is supported by a varied range of industries including mining and mine exploration, logging, and tourism. A deep-water port with two port facilities it is destined to become a major west coast port for distribution of ore, logs and other commodities.
Stewart is rich with history and those who visit often wish they could stay. The current population is about 400 but with two mines set to go into production we are at the precipice of another boom era. Life may be relaxed here but there is never a dull moment!
If you are looking for a beautiful destination with fishing, wildlife, hiking and breathtaking scenery, Stewart welcomes you!
Nature and Scope of Work
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Bylaw Enforcement Officer is responsible for all matters related to the enforcement of municipal bylaws (except those which, due to technical or legal requirements, are the specific jurisdiction and responsibility of other staff members) and for the maintenance and accuracy of all files on matters related to court actions on behalf of the District of Stewart. The position is responsible for identifying enforcement issues, developing plans to address and resolve these issues, also responds to complaints related to bylaw violations within the District of Stewart boundaries. The work involves extensive public contact and community liaison requiring exercise of sound judgement, independent action, and considerable tact and diplomacy within the framework of established policies, bylaws and regulations.
Required Knowledge, Ability and Skill
- Minimum Grade 12 or proven equivalent, with two to four years experience in the bylaw enforcement field or have experience in the court and judicial system and Justice Institute training in enforcement and investigation, or previous experience as a law enforcement officer or an equivalent of education and experience plus:
- Hold a valid British Columbia driver's licence.
- Working knowledge of court and judicial system and legislation regarding bylaw enforcement.
- A demonstrated ability to prepare for litigation and act as bylaw prosecutor.
- A demonstrated ability to use tact, diplomacy and courtesy when dealing with the general public, contractors, trades people, property and business owners and other staff members in stressful conditions.
- A demonstrated ability to prepare clear, concise reports, perform minor clerical duties and prepare and present evidence in court as required.
- Experience in computer operations and in spreadsheet and word processing software.
- Good organisational skills and a demonstrated ability to use and maintain a records management/tracking system.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
Preferred Education, Training and Experience
- Two years experience as a Bylaw Enforcement Officer or other previous enforcement experience.
- Previous experience as a bylaw prosecutor.
- Good working relationship with R.C.M.P.
- Bylaw training may be provided for the right candidate.
- A vehicle will be provided by the District.
- The Bylaw Enforcement Officer is a member of the Bylaw Taskforce.
Hours of Work:
40 hours per week Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00pm with the flexibility and availability to workdays, evenings and weekends as operationally required. Salary compensation commensurate on experience. A comprehensive benefits package is offered with this position.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter of application and a resume in confidence prior to 4:00pm on March 23, 2021 quoting “Bylaw Enforcement Officer Position” (shortlisted applicants will be asked for three (3) references) to:
Tammy McKeown, Chief Administrative Officer
P.O. Box 460, Stewart BC V0T 1W0
(705 Brightwell Street)
Or via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For job description and qualifications listing, please see the District website: www.districtofstewart.com We thank all applicants, but only those being considered for interviews will be contacted.