Executive Assistant - Wheatland County
Position Reports To: Chief Administrative Officer (CAO)
The Executive Assistant, a member of the Administrative Team, is responsible for providing highly skilled administrative support to Wheatland County’s Council, Council Committees and to the Chief Administrative Officer.
The Executive Assistant must deal with sensitive and confidential information while providing high quality service and fulfilling a variety of tasks, in a fast-paced environment.
This position is open due to an impending retirement.
- Provide administrative support and coordination services for the Wheatland County Council including the following:
- Prepare meeting agendas and agenda packages for Council meetings and committees of Council meetings.
- Arrange for meals, beverages, etc. for Council and committee meetings.
- Record Council minutes and prepare formal draft minutes; forward minutes to the CAO for approval.
- On a monthly basis, review Council members’ timesheets and expense forms and forward these to the CAO for approval.
- Coordinate and arrange for Council and Committee members’ attendance at other external meetings, conferences, seminars / workshops including registrations, accommodations, and if requested, travel arrangements.
- Provide day to day administrative support and coordination services for the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) regarding a variety of items including drafting of letters, filing, scheduling meetings, etc.
- Record meeting minutes and prepare formal draft minutes for the Wheatland Economic Development Board.
- Prepare meeting agendas and agenda packages; record meeting minutes for other meetings, as requested by the CAO.
- Update the readings of Bylaws and prepare these for final signatures.
- Coordinate the updating of any policies for the County Policy Manual.
- Assist Human Resources with administrative tasks such as filing, reference checking, contacting applicants, etc.
- Work with Records Management to ensure the proper filing, storage, retention, disposal and archiving of files / records.
- Provide website updates (e.g., County policies, Council minutes, Council meeting agendas, etc.) to the Communications Officer.
- Ensure adherence to all applicable Wheatland County policies and bylaws.
- Ensure compliance with OH&S including attendance at safety meetings, being properly trained in OH&S related topics, and ensuring work is completed in a safe manner.
- Appropriately, and in a timely manner complete administrative tasks (e.g., personal timesheet) when required.
- Relate to and communicate with Council, co-workers, management, customers and vendors sincerely, clearly, tactfully, promptly and courteously; respond to inquiries and complaints promptly and professionally.
- Perform tasks, consistent with the position, including special projects / assignments, as may be required on an ad hoc basis.
- Minimum of college / university diploma; administrative assistant courses / diploma would be an asset
- Minimum 5-7 years of administrative assistance experience; administrative experience within an urban or rural municipality would be preferred
- Knowledge of municipal legislation and relevant statutes would be an asset
- High proficiency in computer programs including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook; familiarity with minute-taking software would be an asset
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent written communication skills with an ability to maintain a high level of accuracy / attention to detail for recording meeting minutes
- Ability to take initiative and work with little direction to meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively in a team environment
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Valid Class 5 Alberta drivers’ licence
This position works a 5-day work week, Monday to Friday, with one day off in a 3 week cycle; hours of work: standard 37.5 hour work week
If this job is a good fit for you, please apply online at https://wheatlandcounty.ca/careers/
Competition Number: P21-09
Closing Date: March 5, 2021