Asset Management Supervisor - City of Whitehorse
Asset Management Supervisor
Job posting closes: February 5th, 2021 at 5:00pm (MST)
An Eligibility List may be established from this competition – the duration of the eligibility list may be up to 12 months. The eligibility list may be used to fill future permanent full-time, permanent part-time, temporary full-time, temporary part- time, term or casual vacancies within the same department and classification based on the organizational needs by going to the next highest ranked candidate until the eligibility list expires.
The City wishes to thank all applicants for their interest but only those candidates selected to advance in the recruitment will be contacted. Note that only those candidates eligible to legally work in Canada will be considered.
This position is covered by a collective agreement between the City of Whitehorse and the Public Service Alliance of Canada/Yukon Employees Union.
Asset Management Supervisor
Job Code: 288
Department: Asset Management Job Summary:
The incumbent is a resource to all departments while providing technical, administrative and project management services for the implementation and ongoing management of the corporate asset management program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coach, mentor and assist departments to develop, implement and refine life-cycle management programs for corporate infrastructure assets.
- Project manage the implementation of a corporate-wide reporting structure utilizing existing processes, tools and programs where appropriate. Act as a liaison with other departments to ensure information is collected efficiently and input into City software.
- Serve as a resource to departments to develop service level, condition assessment, and modeling standards. Coordinate and monitor updates to asset management tools/databases relating to City infrastructure and new capital projects. Provide technical support to all departments during project closeout.
- Coordinate and/or perform condition assessments on infrastructure assets according to City policies. Collect and analyze technical data, undertake studies, research, and prepare and present reports.
- Work with various departments to estimate future costs for replacement, rehabilitation, or general maintenance requirements for all assets using industry standard practices. Review impacts of growth on existing assets with consideration of resources required to maintain service levels, as well as identify future service expansions and required resources.
- Participate as a resource member of the City’s Asset Management Steering Committee.
- Collaborate with the Financial Services department to provide technical information related to tangible capital assets, retirement cost estimates, and other financial reporting or procurement requirements including long term financial planning is available as required.
- Conduct periodic reviews and assess the effectiveness of the City’s Asset Management practices, recommend and implement changes as required to improve efficiencies in operations, maintenance, and asset replacement practices.
- Monitor and evaluate compliance with policies related to asset management.
- Recruits, directs, trains, schedules and appraises the performance of reporting staff. Is authorized to issue verbal reprimands and contributes to higher levels of discipline in accordance with the progressive discipline directive.
- Ensures, so far as is reasonably practicable, that reporting staff follow established safety procedures and standards.
- Other related duties.
This description contains elements necessary for identification and evaluation of the job. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.
Work in a normal office environment; may be exposed to confined spaces, noise, dust, fumes, traffic, extreme temperatures, uneven terrain and construction sites when conducting inspections.
Required Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Degree in Engineering, Business Administration or related field
- Professional engineer certification, accounting designation, asset management certification and/or project management designation an asset.
- 5 years related municipal experience and demonstrated asset management experience. On-the-job experience – 1 year
- Proven project management, decision-making/problem solving, and interpersonal skills. Good organizational, prioritizing and multitasking skills and ability to work unsupervised. Proven written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to foster and maintain effective relationships among peers and/or stakeholders. Valid Yukon Class 5 Driver’s License.
Examples of Required Equipment To Operate:
Light vehicle, AutoCAD, general office equipment with the ability to operate ERP software programs, spreadsheets, electronic mail, word processing, etc.
Job seekers are required to create an online profile and submit their application electronically through the City's online Applicant system via www.whitehorse.ca/careers. Instructions on applications are provided
at https://www.whitehorse.ca/departments/human-resources/how-to-apply. If you have any further questions regarding this posting, please contact the recruiter at HR@whitehorse.ca.
To apply for this position, you are required to submit your resume.
Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the recruiting process.
At the time this posting closes, candidates must have valid and current licenses/certifications/education that match the position requirements. Candidates who are selected to continue with the recruiting process will be required to provide proof of qualifications during their interview.
$43.71 - $51.42 per hour
Hours Per Week
5 X 7 Hours
Guaranteed Minimum Hours
Start Date of Position
End Date (Temporary and Term)
Number of Hires Needed