Protective Services Manager, Whitecourt
Competition No: 2021-001
About our Municipality
Woodlands County is a rural municipality ~ 150 kilometres NW of Edmonton, with an area of 7,668 sq km. The County surrounds the Town of Whitecourt and includes the hamlets of Blue Ridge, Goose Lake, and Fort Assiniboine. With a population of over4,600 people, Woodlands County is a thriving natural playground, welcoming families, businesses and tourists alike to experience and enjoy all there is to offer.
Providing leadership, management, and direction to four rural fire departments the health & safety function, as well as patrol services contractor. This technical role also fulfills the duties of Municipal Director of Emergency Management (DEM) and prepares, maintains, and administers the Municipal Emergency Plan. Being highly collaborative and results-oriented, this role brings innovation and effective leadership to the department and grows, develops, and empowers its team.
The position is responsible to:
- Supervise the planning, coordination, and scheduling of training, activities, and duties of the four fire departments
- Prepare and implement fire department policies
- Approve and maintain fire department standard operating guidelines Engage, evaluate, and manage station chiefs in accordance with Woodlands County policies
- Respond to emergency situations, as required Develop and manage operating and capital budgets
- Provide department operational reports to the CAO and Council
- Demonstrate experience of firefighting and emergency response, applicable legislative/ regulatory standards, budget formulation, local government functions, and employee relation practices
- Highly collaborative and skilled with considerable technical and managerial experience
- Experience with ICS and emergency management models
- Strong leadership skills and ability to manage change and conflict
Qualifications & Education Requirements:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Emergency Services Management 5+ years experience in an emergency services position, in a municipal environment
- Fire chief/ senior officer experience, considered an asset
- High level of emergency management training as per Local Authorities Emergency Management Regulations (LAEMR)
- NFPA 1001, Level 2 Firefighter, considered an asset
- Class 3 driver's licence with air brake endorsement, considered an asset
Apply by visiting:
Completion of assessment testing is required to apply for this position.
You are required to upload your resume as part of this process. Please allow 45 minutes to complete testing.
Applications received via email or in-person are not accepted.
Questions can be directed to:
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Full-time (36.25 hours/ week)
Hours of Work
Monday to Friday, 8:15 am to 4:30 pm On call, 24-hours
Competition Close Date
Friday, January 29, 2021