Investment Attraction Specialist - Wheatland County
Investment Attraction Specialist
Position Reports To: General Manager, Community and Development Services
The Investment Attraction Specialist is responsible for facilitating the Community and Development Services department and Economic Development division’s goals of economic development and diversification in Wheatland County through activities that encourage business and development attraction. Such activities include implementing strategic initiatives, developing business tools and resources, identifying, and fostering economic development opportunities, and working directly with businesses, site selectors, investors, and developers towards development opportunities.
This position liaises with County staff, industry, industrial stakeholders, and local, regional, and provincial committees and/or business associations. Representing Wheatland County, this work is done to positively influence and promote the state of business development in the municipality.
The Economic Development division and Community and Development Services Department aim to provide business of all sizes with a gold-level of service and handle inquiries in a business-friendly and timely manner. We work as a team to ensure that we help achieve the business attraction, retention, and expansion goals of the municipality to the best of our ability. The person in this position plays an essential role in the team and ensures that our Department provides business with the highest level of customer service.
This position is similar to the Economic Development Officer position with a specific targeted mandate to work on business and investment attraction into Wheatland County.
- Lead development and execution of diversification activities designed to attract and expand industrial and commercial investment in Wheatland County within key sectors (i.e. agriculture, technology, petrochemicals, transportation, and logistics), as led by the General Manager, Community Development and Services Manager
- Serve as a point of contact to facilitate development permit process between businesses and the planning department by enabling and encouraging information exchange
- Maintain files, prepare background information, reports, correspondence, and communication to provide prompt responses to requests from new investment leads and business prospects
- Coordinate visits and seminars to Wheatland County for prospective investors and attend special events related to investment
- Provide aftercare services to businesses and investors (embedding the investor in the local economy)
- Coordinate with Economic Development Officer to build investment packages and presentations within the WC brand
- Plan and offer strategies to ensure that WC and Wheatland County website, social media and other public tools effectively promote commercial and industrial development in the County
- Prepare and deliver projects and reports for prospects to ensure they have all necessary site selection criteria to locate, stay or expand in Wheatland County, including market data and analysis, economic opportunities, labour availability, etc.
- This position involves meeting multiple deadlines and the ability to develop strong one on one relationships. This person also must be able to deal with confidential business information on a fiduciary basis.
- Strives to have senior management and Council part of creating a pro-business environment
- Ensure adherence to all applicable Wheatland County policies and bylaws.
- Ensure compliance with OH&S including attendance at safety meetings, being properly trained in OH&S related topics (e.g., Emergency Management training and exercises), and ensuring work is completed in a safe manner.
- Appropriately, and in a timely manner complete personal administrative tasks (e.g., personal timesheets), when required.
- Relate to and communicate with co-workers, management, customers and vendors sincerely, clearly, tactfully, promptly and courteously; respond to inquiries and complaints promptly and professionally.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in economic development, preferably in a rural municipality
- Degree or diploma in Business Administration, Commerce, Economics, Communications, or related field; or equivalent experience.
- Economic Development designation would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge and ability to use a wide variety of computer software applications, i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, CRM systems, and working knowledge of GIS.
- Strong organizational and time management skills to handle multiple projects at one time. Ability to work independently or within a team to meet tight time frames.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, with the ability to interact with internal staff, as well as business, government, and other community representatives.
- Ability to prepare clear, concise reports to Council, senior management, and the business community and make recommendations to advance the strategic directions of the Department.
- Membership or ability to attain membership with Economic Developers Alberta (EDA), International Economic Developers Council (IEDC), or International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- Experience in business and / or development field in the private sector
- Strong customer service skills providing courteous and efficient services
- Valid Class 5 Alberta drivers’ licence
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively in a team environment
- This position works a 5 day work week, Monday to Friday, with one day off in a 3 week cycle; hours of work: standard 37.5 hour work week
If this job is a good fit for you, apply at https://wheatlandcounty.ca/career-opportunities/investment-attraction-specialist/! Competition Number: P21-01 Closing Date: January 29, 2021. wheatlandcounty.ca/careers/