Utility Planning Manager - City of Coquitlam
Utility Planning Manager
Engineering & Public Works – Utility Planning
One of BC’s Top Employers, the City of Coquitlam is the sixth largest city in BC, home to more than 150,000 residents. Our municipality continues to grow through innovative urban design, inspiring arts, culture and recreation programs, and state-of-the-art transportation systems. Our brand is built on managing our resources in a responsible and sustainable manner, while supporting a vibrant, growing regional urban centre.
Reporting to the Director, Utility Programs, the Utility Planning Manager is accountable for Utility Planning within Engineering and Public Works which involves hydraulic modeling and planning of water, sewer and drainage systems, and financial analysis of the Water and Sewer & Drainage utilities. As Coquitlam is a rapidly growing City with an exciting mix of densification and greenfield subdivision expansion, this is a unique time and opportunity for you to build a legacy and expand your experience to plan for the future.
You would also be able to build strong connections and relationships with neighbouring municipalities to ensure coordinated growth, as well as review and influence major 3rd party projects planned by Metro Vancouver, Fortis, BC Hydro, and others. Your team currently includes a Utility Planning Engineer (a brand new role which you will be able to help recruit), two Engineering technologists, and an Engineering Technician.
Some of the responsibilities for you and your team include:
Master Planning & Modelling
- Complete water, wastewater and drainage master plans;
- Develop and update the growth‐related short (0‐5 year) and long‐range utility capital plans and handing over projects to the Design & Construction team to build;
- Oversee consultants in the development and updates of water, wastewater and drainage computer models;
- Develop and update integrated watershed management plans;
- Work with Finance to set the water, wastewater, DCC rates and drainage fees, as well as developing and review of budgets.
- Review and provide water, wastewater and drainage servicing comments on community/neighbourhood plans and individual development plans;
Internal and External Coordination and Representation
- Review, develop and implement the technical aspects of the water conservation initiatives as required based on initiatives identified by the Environment Division
- Represent the city on external committees such as the REAC Liquid Waste Subcommittee and Water Subcommittee, Storm Water Interagency Liaison Group, and Fraser Basin Council
- Represent the City on 3rd party utility projects in the region.
Position requirements include Bachelor of Applied Science or equivalent, and eligibility for registration with the Association of Professional Engineers.
The City offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package, including the opportunity to participate in an ‘earned day off’ program. Applicants under consideration will be required to undergo a police security clearance evaluation.
Please apply online at www.coquitlam.ca/careers by 11:55 pm on January 29 ,2021.
The City of Coquitlam is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.