Labourer – Aboriculture
Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Labourer – Aboriculture
Parks and Recreation
NO. OF POSITIONS:
CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK:
$28.24 per hour
plus 12% in lieu of all benefits
The Parks and Recreation Department is looking for a positive team player to work with our Arboriculture team in growing and maintaining our robust urban forest. Your responsibilities include: supporting tree planting, pruning crews; assisting in a full range of supportive tree maintenance activities; conducting watering duties for both Arboriculture and Horticultural areas with a large water truck and interacting with the public in a professional manner.
- Completion of Grade 12 (or equivalent), supplemented by related experience in arboriculture/horticulture.
- Completion of a diploma in arboriculture as an asset.
- Experience in arboriculture operations (i.e. tree pruning, tree planting, tree health care, etc.) is preferred.
- Knowledge or willingness to learn the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the work.
- Ability to follow the safety precautions required in the work.
- Ability to effectively perform tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with crew members and other City departments.
- Ability to demonstrate and provide exceptional customer service skills.
- Ability to perform sustained manual/physical labour and to work in all weather conditions.
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and clean driver’s abstract.
- The successful candidate must be able to pass and maintain a clear Police Information Check.
*The successful candidate will be available to work up to 40 hours per week (which may include weekends and shift work). Work terms are based on operational requirements and may be up to 10 months in duration and may be adjusted due to the seasonal and operational requirements.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #20-73, by October 26, 2020, to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: (604)527-4619 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.