Chief of Staff
City of Red Deer
Chief of Staff - 5 Year Team
The City of Red Deer
Join a vibrant outdoor centric community filled with trails and breathtaking nature along the winding river valley of Red Deer, in Central Alberta. Red Deer is an economically dynamic region of Alberta situated directly between Edmonton and Calgary along the vital QE 2 corridor. It is a perfect blend of small town friendliness and big city conveniences. Host to the 2016 Memorial Cup and the 2019 Canada Winter Games, Red Deer continues to welcome all of Canada with open arms.
We are currently recruiting for the right person to fill the position of Chief of Staff. The Chief of Staff provides professional executive advice, corporate guidance and support to the Mayor and Councillors while establishing and maintaining effective working relationships and acting as a point of contact between the City Manager, senior staff, the community and other stakeholders.
This term role is responsible for the management of executive support staff who help organize and prioritize critical issues and required information for the Mayor and Council to facilitate efficient decision making. The Chief of Staff collaborates with the Mayor and Council and senior staff to ensure coordination of efforts to address municipal priorities and issues. This position regularly anticipates and responds to a wide range of issues requiring a broad understanding of City functions and competence to perform duties with discretion and independence.
Ideally to fill this role you will have a University Degree in Public Administration or equivalent. A graduate degree (e.g. MBA, MPA) would be considered an asset.
In addition you will have:
- 5 years of experience in similar roles
- Ability to accept responsibility, act independently, make and defend decisions; yet acknowledge higher authority, listen to other opinions and modify
- Strategic thinker, data-driven and analytical in approach to solving problems
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy is crucial
- Excellent organizational and planning skills with the ability to recognize and attend to multiple priorities and deadlines
- Natural and rapid ability to compose readable, understandable and factual material for Council and public consumption
- Excellent interpersonal skills combined with a professional and approachable manner allowing the development and maintenance of positive working relationships with City Council, Administration, municipalities, volunteers, institutional and business leaders
- Ability to perceive, manage, understand and reason with emotions while working with people across the corporation and community
- Ability to maintain a professional bearing exercising tact and diplomacy while providing solutions and dealing with difficult situations
- Works in a manner that maintains the reputation and integrity of the Office of the Mayor and Council and The City of Red Deer
- Solid understanding of the corporate structure, the community and its history
- Ability to interpret complex or ambiguous concepts and present findings, alternatives and recommendations to multiple audiences in an understandable format.
- Knowledge of local government issues and municipal policies and practices
What we offer:
A five-year employment term (until the end of the next election term). In addition to the competitive annual salary of $118,268 to $147,835 and an excellent benefits package, we offer a great work environment with a dynamic and dedicated team of likeminded professionals.
If you like what you have read, and think this is the job for you; come build your career with The City of Red Deer. We are committed to a healthy, vibrant, and sustainable community. Our employees are the cornerstone of our organization and working with us will provide you with the opportunity to work in an ever growing environment and to work with an awesome group of people.
October 16, 2020
We welcome applications until October 16, 2020.
For more information and to apply online, please visit us at www.reddeer.ca/careers or email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.