Executive Manager, Community Development Services
Executive Manager, Community Development Services
City of Lloydminster
Reports directly to the City Manager and is responsible for planning, management, implementation and performance of all designated City Community Development Programs, Services and Initiatives. The Executive Manager, Community Development Services provides assistance, coverage and support to the City Manager from time to time on an as needed basis. This position is responsible for the strategic leadership and direction for the following departments:
- Recreation & Cultural Services
- Building Maintenance
- Social Programs & Services (FCSS)
The Executive Manager, Community Development Services is a key member of the Executive Leadership Team (ELT) and contributes to the overall strategic direction, leadership and community development for the City of Lloydminster. The incumbent fosters efficient use of resources and identifies opportunities for community development and efficiencies. The Executive Manager, Community Development Services prepares briefing materials and works closely with City Council to ensure that Council is provided with the appropriate information required to approve operating and fiscal policy. The incumbent builds effective, cohesive relationships with internal and external stakeholders, community partners and inspires the department to provide outstanding customer service to its residents.
- Demonstrates passionate personal commitment to quality leadership.
- Acts as a representative for the entire organization, not just the department.
- Effectively translates concepts and information related to the department.
- Establishes credibility by demonstrating broad knowledge and good judgement.
- Positions ideas and proposals to address the needs, interests and concerns for all stakeholders.
- Responsible for leading, directing and the execution of programs and services offered through the Community Development Services Department.
- Provides strategic leadership and direction to the Community Development Services Department.
- Provides leadership and direction as a member of the Executive Leadership Team.
- Provides direction, leadership and technical support to Building Maintenance.
- Provides direction, leadership and technical support with community development initiatives.
- Reviews and provides direction on procurement functions for Community Development Services.
- Ensures the efficiencies of reporting staff through their selection, training, development and motivation.
- Provides direction on investigation and implementation of policy and procedure improvements.
- Develops and monitors Community Development Services business plans, strategies, and processes to ensure high quality of service delivery with a focus on customer service.
- Invests time in managing and developing people, individually and collectively.
- Creates an open, positive working environment to stimulate open discussion.
- Sets clear expectations, monitors, evaluates, rewards and develops performance.
- Builds leadership throughout the department.
- Guides and develops employees through success, career planning and professional development.
- Provides insightful, motivating and constructive feedback, coaching and guidance.
- Ensures the team has the capacity and diversity to meet current and future needs of the City.
- Approves and presents all Council Administration reports for Community Development Services at Council meetings.
- Prepares and approves Community Development Services Operational and Capital budgets.
- Provides oversight for the planning and coordination of various operational and administrative programs for the City.
- Prepares various reports and recommendations for City Council.
- Reviews and prepares necessary items for City Council agendas.
- Prepares budget reports and delivers information to City Council and the public regarding the fiscal status.
- Leads change that maximizes desired results and outcomes within the department, the organization and the community.
- Fosters an environment that promotes innovation, continuous improvement and manages risk-taking.
- Anticipates then addresses the impact of large scale changes on morale and productivity.
- Works with the Executive Leadership Team to develop a set of actionable and targeted change management plans, including communication plans, coaching plans, training plans and resistance management plans.
- Develops a culture where people hold themselves personally accountable for results.
- Ensures resources are directed to support the organization’s desired goals and culture.
- Plays a leadership role in shaping the values and culture of the organization by consistently exemplifying them.
- Serves as a role model in making critical decisions that are required to move the organization forward.
- Sets a climate where team and organizational achievements are recognized, rewarded and celebrated.
- Establishes expectations regarding performance and what success looks like.
- Cultivates effective relationships and networks with other departments, residents, unions, regional partners, contractors, agencies and other levels of government.
- Builds a commitment to excellence and common purpose by promoting the vision internally and externally.
- Is accessible to staff and invests the time necessary to build relationships.
- Builds support through influence, negotiations and balancing regional and national interests.
- Acts as the liaison for Community Development Services to the Mayor and Council.
- Reviews and responds to complaints and requests for services submitted by City Council and residents.
- Other related duties as required.
Normal working hours for this position are Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. with the occasional requirement to work outside these hours depending on required deadlines. Travel may be required from time to time.
The successful candidate must possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration or Business Administration would be considered an asset. (other professional designations may be considered)
- Minimum five to seven years of progressive experience as a department head in Community Development Services is required.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of public administration and municipal government.
- Knowledge of public administrative research methods, techniques and report presentation.
- Knowledge of municipal operations and strategic direction.
- Knowledge of principles underlying the laws, bylaws and regulations for the City of Lloydminster.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with staff, stakeholders, residents, clients, Council and the public in face-to-face, one-on-one settings and in group settings.
- Ability to lead and effectively coordinate the efforts of various City departments and functions with other governmental or private agencies to accomplish program goals or objectives.
- Ability to analyze a variety of administrative, operational, fiscal and social problems and make sound recommendations for solutions.
- Ability to implement, develop and carryout working procedures and programs.
- Ability to work cooperatively and cohesively with others.
- Ability to work safely and tactfully without presenting as a direct threat to self and others.
- A valid Class 5 Driver’s License registered in Alberta or Saskatchewan with an acceptable Driver’s Abstract is required. This position may be required to operate a personal or municipal vehicle for business purposes.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
- Proof of qualifications is required.
October 30, 2020
The City of Lloydminster is an equal opportunity employer. If you have questions or require further information on this position, please contact us. All applications must be sent to the Employee Relations team and received by the closing date.
HR Generalist, Employee Relations
City of Lloydminster
Lloydminster AB/SK T9V 0W2
Internal Candidate Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
External Candidates apply at: https://careers.lloydminster.ca/Job/Search