Commissioner, Community Services
City of Brampton
Commissioner, Community Services
Brampton is a city focused on the future. We serve one of the youngest, fastest growing, and most diverse cities in the country. We are a future ready organization with a sharp focus that is aiming high and thinking bigger. We sit at the centre of Canada’s innovation super corridor, encouraging investment and growing our global success. We are building a vibrant community that ignites opportunity and instills pride in the people who live and work here. Brampton is in the midst of transforming, out in front, as a pioneer of suburban excellence. Leaders in our organization understand success requires passion, creativity, and agility. We value progress over process. We hold each other accountable. We are a team who is engaged, excited, and empowered to deliver results for Brampton, and beyond.
This senior leadership position is responsible for providing strategic direction and advice to Council and the Chief Administrative Officer. Strategic execution and service delivery excellence will drive optimal organizational change in the Community Services business portfolios. Key duties and responsibilities are:
- Strategic Leadership. Participate as a member of the leadership team in the formulation of philosophy, mission, corporate goals and objectives and strategic planning related to the provision of excellent services and programs. Attend Council and Committee meetings to represent the department, make recommendations as appropriate, respond to enquiries and provide professional advice. Recommend innovative strategies and approaches based on current industry trends and a strong network of information.
- Operational Excellence & Integrity. Establish goals, objectives, and financial and human resource requirements in partnership with senior staff of the department. Approve relevant performance indicators related to a very diverse group of departmental functions and monitor the achievement of results. Provide advice and direction for problem solving of complex issues. Direct the approval of all legislatively mandated requirements under various acts, codes and by-laws set out by Federal, Provincial or Municipal levels of government. Communicate, exemplify, and nourish sound public service values, ethics and leadership skills in all actions and decisions and ensure implementation of appropriate policies, practices, and procedures. Ensure all activities promote optimum effectiveness and excellence in business deliverables within the divisions. Maintain an awareness of developments within the disciplines of the department to promote innovative management.
- Fiscal and Due Diligence Responsibility. Develop, administer, and control the department’s budget with senior divisional leaders. Provide the appropriate level of risk management. Ensure budget requests and budget deviance are consistent with operating objectives while maintaining optimum cost-benefit relationships and efficiency for taxpayers. Ensure that development, presentation and implementation of appropriate divisional policies, programs, practices, and procedures are aligned with the City’s strategic vision while preserving high quality service.
- Staff Leadership. Lead a team of professional directors and managers who are focused on implementing divisional strategies, in alignment with the vision and values of the City. Set overall direction and vision, coaching and guiding senior managers and dealing with performance management issues of direct reports and others as required. Promote effective employee relations throughout all divisions, encouraging increased morale, innovation, and productivity. Support the development of managerial, professional, technical, and administrative skills through the provision of in-service training, development opportunities and funding for external courses.
- Stakeholder Relationships. Build and nurture strong relationships with business leaders, community leaders, business/investor prospects and the general public. Chair/co-chair committees as warranted. Ensure appropriate interaction with and support to all City departments and external clients. Interact with City agencies, departments, and elected officials to best achieve objectives of Brampton Council.
- Corporate Ambassador. Liaise with other public and private sector organizations to exchange information, acquire knowledge, and enhance experience for the benefit of the organization and the citizens of Brampton. Compose and deliver speeches and presentations to impact positive outcomes.
- Champion of Change. Collaborate with senior leaders, institute best practices, and inspire teams to be innovative to support the mandate of organization wide accountability. Lead customer service excellence to deliver optimal results in strategic planning, human resources, technology, and continuous improvement for increased efficiencies across all the departments.
Preferred Selection Criteria
- Minimum 7-10 years’ experience as a Senior Executive in a municipal environment, or similar
- Post-secondary education in Business or Public Administration, or equivalent and a professional designation. MBA degree an asset.
- Demonstrated success developing and implementing multi-faceted strategic plans for diverse stakeholders with wide-ranging impacts
- Experience in motivating and leading other senior leaders, in a salaried and unionized environment
- Demonstrated integrity and fiscal responsibility
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal/networking skills
- Financial acumen
- Working knowledge of the business fundamentals in the Community Services spectrum as outlined in the business portfolio.
Complexity and Problem Solving
- Must be able to develop and articulate complex strategies and business cases for a variety of stakeholder input and approvals.
- Must be able to relate to people at all levels (i.e. senior executives of multi-national corporations, politicians, clerical employees) in a way that leaves a positive impression of the City of Brampton.
- Must be able to inspire and motivate a group of professionals who have deep understanding and expertise in their specialties, empowering them while providing strategic direction and guidance.
- Must be able to participate in decision-making as part of a team of senior executives.
- Must be able to maintain a current awareness of developments in fields of functional responsibility through strong networking and ongoing personal and professional development.
- Must be innovative and creative and be able to take calculated risks for the benefit of the corporation and the citizens of Brampton.
- Fully accountable for functional (operational) and financial results of the department.
- Makes decisions when to inform and involve Chief Administrative Officer, politicians, and/or other stakeholders.
Brampton’s Leadership Competency Profile
- Acts Strategically
- Builds Commitment to Vision
- Delegates Effectively Develops Others
- Makes Effective Decisions
- Staff Management and Leadership
- Works Effectively with Council
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, email your cover letter/resume to:
Marty Greenaway, Consultant, Feldman Daxon Partners
The City of Brampton is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment, selection processes and work environments. People from equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply and will be taken into consideration in determining the successful candidate. If you are contacted by our firm for an interview, please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially