Bylaw Enforcement Officer
The City of Dawson
Box 308 Dawson City, YT Y0B 1G0
PH: 867-993-7400 FAX: 867-993-7434
Bylaw Enforcement Officer
Dawson City, Yukon, is home of the Klondike Gold Rush and the heart of Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in Traditional Territory; we’re proud of our mining heritage and First Nations roots that run millennia deep. We’re a thriving cultural community—with a post-secondary arts school, several world-renowned festivals, and burgeoning TV and film industry—that borders an outdoor playground sprawling hundreds of kilometres in either direction. We’re a living historic community, with many landscape features and buildings that support our national historic site designation.
Mining, tourism, culture, and our people are the foundation on which our town stands, and we respect personal freedoms and diversity of all definitions. We’re a welcoming town and a great place to make a life and raise a family. Our community has a new hospital and programming and activities that promote healthy lifestyles. We have a recreation centre, curling club, swimming pool, fitness centre, nine-hole golf course, off-leash dog park, and a ski hill. We enjoy an abundance of green spaces, including hiking, biking, and cross-country-ski trails. We also have a K–12 school, Yukon College campus, healthy business community, and numerous groups and organizations in which to get involved.
Under the direction of the Protective Services Manager, the Bylaw Enforcement Officer is responsible for administrative, inspectional and regulatory work to enforce all applicable Municipal bylaws, including but not limited to, bylaws relating to property use, buildings, parking, business regulations, animal control, zoning and noise. This position provides public education and awareness programs and services in order to ensure the protection of residents, property and employees. The ideal candidate for this challenging role will possess strong dispute resolution skills, experience dealing with people in difficult situations and a solid knowledge and experience with bylaws, regulations and enforcement activities.
If this position interests you, please submit your resume and cover letter clearly demonstrating the qualifications outlined below, as selection for further consideration will be based solely on the information you provide.
- High school graduation
- Completion of Bylaw Enforcement course or equivalent
- Knowledge of and experience with Animal Control
- 2 years’ professional experience in a regulatory environment, preference to those with municipal bylaw enforcement experience
- High level of proficiency with MS Office and related office software
- Experience with documentation and reporting
- Ability to prepare and present evidence in court
- Excellent conflict resolution skills are essential
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Possess public relations skills, cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Exceptional ability to self-motivate and to function with minimum direction and supervision
- Ability to make decisions and use independent judgement
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class 5 drivers’ licence
- Must provide a clear criminal record check
Applicants able to demonstrate an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
A job description is available upon request.
A current resume and cover letter must be received at the City of Dawson Administration Building by 2:00 pm on Wednesday, August 5, 2020. Applications to this position may be submitted by mail or email to the following:
Amanda King, Human Resources
PO Box 308
Dawson City, Yukon Y0B 1G0
Salary & Benefits:
This is a Union position and is currently under review. Salary and benefits shall be in accordance with the Collective Agreement.
Salary range of $62,544 - $75,055, plus benefits.
In accordance with the Collective Agreement, internal candidates will be given first consideration.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
To learn more about our community and what we have to offer please visit our website at www.cityofdawson.ca