Economic Development Officer
Economic Development Officer
Casual – Approx. 2-3 days per week
The City of White Rock is a unique, ocean-side community of 20,000 citizens known for its sunny weather, expansive beach, historic pier, delightful restaurants, and sense of community. The City is located half an hour south of Vancouver on the shore of Semiahmoo Bay.
The Planning and Development Services Department, seeks an individual on a casual basis with an outstanding work ethic and superior communication skills to join their team. The Economic Development Officer is responsible for supporting the municipal economic development program, such as local business development, initiatives to attract investment, development and to bring new business to the City. Strong project management skills will be essential as the role takes on initiatives from the initial research stage and sees the initiatives through to fruition. In addition, the successful candidate will have solid communication and analytical skills for demonstrating the feasibility of potential plans, reporting results of initiatives undertaken and for grant writing. The role requires someone with outstanding public relation and customer service skills as you will be representing the City of White Rock while working with local White Rock businesses, internal departments and will act as the department’s staff liaison on the City’s COVID-19 task force.
- Degree or diploma in a discipline related to the work such as marketing, communications or business administration, plus at least 3-4 years related experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Candidates with a Certification in Economic Development (i.e. Ec.D or C.EcD) will be given preference.
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbal and written, and demonstrate excellent listening skills;
- Ability to deal tactfully with the public in a courteous, professional and effective manner;
- Ability to work cooperatively and amicably in a team environment with a safety first attitude;
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, practices, methods and techniques applicable to the work.
- Considerable knowledge of the policies, rules and regulations governing the work.
- Considerable knowledge of the objectives, activities and requirements related to the work.
- Considerable knowledge of the communications tools used in the work.
- Ability to plan, research and develop, coordinate and implement a variety of programs, events, activities, and materials in support of business initiatives.
- Ability to research and compile information, and to prepare and present narrative and graphic reports on a variety of matters pertaining to economic development.
- Ability to coordinate outreach efforts to local businesses, and act as a resource and advocate for same.
- Ability to provide support to committees and act as the City’s representative in the work.
- Ability to establish, develop and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of external and internal contacts, and to provide information and assistance to same.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing and to make presentations.
- Possess and maintain a valid Class 5 BC driver’s license
The hourly wage of this CUPE position is $34.98 – $41.29 per hour (2019 rates) with 11% in lieu of benefits. If your experience and education have prepared you for success in this role and you are committed to working in a manner that supports a respectful, healthy, and safe environment, we invite you to apply.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and Drivers Abstract for consideration by the application deadline.
Application Deadline: 4:30 p.m., July 19, 2020
Submit your application: Apply online at www.whiterockcity.ca/jobs Recruitment Reference: 2020-30
Thank you for your interest. Only selected applicants will be contacted
Please Note: this new position is posted “under review” meaning that a follow-up review be conducted with the incumbent to ensure the duties and valuation levels are appropriately captured.