Town of Westville
The Billing Clerk is responsible for the accurate and the uniform management of the taxation and utility accounts in accordance with the Municipal Government Act, Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board and policies of Council under the direct supervision of the CAO. The incumbent will need to work regularly with the Finance for the Town and will require a high degree of skill and understanding of accounting procedures and administrative processing in the public sector.
Duties and Responsibilities Administrative and Technical Duties
- Maintain and balance Assessment Roll records of accounts;
- Prepare, maintain and balance tax and utility billing;
- Maintain sub-ledger accounts for tax, sewer and water receivables;
- Prepare all billings and overdue notices for accounts, including those due to Mortgage Companies;
- Prepare and process interest charges on accounts;
- Prepare adjustments to accounts as required in accordance with PVSC, Municipal Government Act and policies of Council, obtain approval from CAO, and post to customer accounts once approved;
- Responsible for preparing and reviewing monthly Accounts Receivable reports;
- Reconcile listing totals to General Ledge Control Accounts, obtain sign off from Finance;
- Prepare notices for arrears and disconnection of service;
- Assist with collection procedures for all receivables, as required;
- Prepare certificates for customers, lawyers and/or mortgage company as necessary;
- Assist in the Tax Sale process in accordance with the Municipal Government Act;
- General Office and Customer Service duties as necessary
The minimum qualifications required to successfully perform the job are as follows:
- Completion of high school or equivalent;
- College or University certificate/ diploma in Accounting or Business Administration
- Minimum of five year's experience in accounting for revenues, preferably in a municipal government environment
- Or, an acceptable combination of education, training and experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The following knowledge, skills and abilities are required:
- Knowledge of accounting functions , such as general ledgers, accounts receivables and reconciling accounts, an asset;
- Strong knowledge of computer applications, including MS Office Suite and Accounting Software;
- Strong to excellent interpersonal skills;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills;
- Strong to excellent communications skills (listening, written and oral);
- Be tactful, positive, personable, team player and customer service oriented;
- Possess problem solving abilities, be self directing; demonstrate the ability to work to meet deadlines; possess a high level of attention to detail; and have the ability to multi-task.
- Required to maintain confidentiality
- Criminal Record Check & Vulnerable Sector Check
The Billing Clerk maybe interrupted frequently with requests from the public and staff, the incumbent may find the environment at times to be busy.
Hours of Work
The incumbent is normally required to work Monday to Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (rarely, but may include some weekends or statutory holidays if deemed necessary by the Chief Administrative Officer for billing cycles to be maintained).
This job description is intended to convey the information essential to understanding the scope of the position and nature and level of work performed by the incumbent. But the job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions association with the position. Therefore, it could be expected that from time to time additional items may be added to the list, as long as they would be naturally occurring within this type of role.