Director of Human Resources
Cape Breton Regional Municipality
Director of Human Resources
The Cape Breton Regional Municipality (CBRM) is Nova Scotia's second largest municipality and largest Municipality on Cape Breton Island. Cape Breton Island is one of the most acclaimed scenic and touring destinations in the world. CBRM is in transition from an industrial to a service-based economy. It has by far the largest service and retail sector on the Island and is home to Cape Breton University, which boasts the largest percentage of international students of any university in Canada, the Canadian Coast College, and its Marconi campus is the 2nd largest of the Province’s fleet of community colleges. The downtown of Sydney (CBRM’s largest community) is on the cusp of significant changes including the re-location of the Marconi campus from a location outside of the community, the construction of a 2nd cruise ship berth to serve the expanding cruise ship service industry, and a proposal to establish a residential and service complex along the downtown Sydney waterfront. “To learn more about Cape Breton go to https://welcometocapebreton.ca/ “
JOB SCOPE: Responsible to lead and manage human resources initiatives designed to support the municipalities overall strategic plan. Responsible for the general administration of the Human Resources Department: and overseeing the recruitment and selection process, training and development programs, occupational health and safety programs, employment equity programs, compensation and benefit programs, job performance measurement tools, Employee wellness programs and labour relations to the municipality. Required to represent CBRM along with our solicitor in arbitration hearings. Works under the direction of the Chief Administrative Officer
QUALIFICATIONS: *Copies of all required certificates must accompany application.
- Bachelors degree in Human Resources Management or related field (Must include copy).
- Five years professional experience in human resource management.
- Experience in employee and labor relations.
- Knowledge of Collective bargaining contracts.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Nova Scotia Drivers License (Must include copy).
- A medical assessment, including vision and hearing tests. Medical assessment must show the capacity of performing tasks of the classification (This is not required at time of application but will be required prior to hiring).
- A CPHR Nova Scotia designation would be considered an asset.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 4:00 P.M. Friday, June 5th, 2020
Applications quoting REFERENCE NO 20.13-E should be directed to: Human Resources Department, Cape Breton Regional Municipality, 320 Esplanade, Suite 303, Sydney, NS B1P 7B9 Fax: 902-563-5582 or E-mail: email@example.com
Although we thank all applicants for their submissions, we will respond only to those we wish to interview.
“The Cape Breton Regional Municipality is committed to the principles of Employment Equity and encourages applications from the designated groups; women, visible minorities, aboriginals and persons with disabilities. CBRM encourages the need for respect, integrity, diversity, accountability and the public good.”