Manager, Information Technology
Manager, Information TechnologyCompetition number:
$90,286.00 - $99,652.00
Permanent Full Time
Closing Date (dd/mm/yyyy):
The Manager of Information Technology is responsible for the cost-effective and secure implementation and maintenance of the City of Saint John’s network infrastructure and related systems. Reporting to the Director of Corporate Performance / Chief Information Officer (CIO), the incumbent will manage a team of technical resources in supporting the organization’s technology and communications needs in alignment with the strategic and business objectives of the organization.
Effective operation of the City's information technology infrastructure and related systems:
- Manage maintenance activities for all of the City’s network infrastructure, computing assets, and mobile devices to ensure reliable operability and connectivity
- Administer lifecycle management activities to manage all corporate information technology assets, ensuring timely and efficient replacement
- Research and evaluate new technologies to be used as enhancements or upgrades to existing server, network, and other information technology infrastructure and hardware equipment to improve system effectiveness
- Engage with external service providers to achieve and implement cybersecurity objectives and requirements related to data, network access, backup systems, and response to events
- Ensure the successful completion of projects by coordinating resources and timetables
- Set clear service objectives and related work plans that align with corporate strategy, ensuring the requirements of service areas are integrating into the planning process
- Document and enforce policies and procedures, in addition to system configurations, related to the cost-effective and safe operation of the City’s network and assets
- Manage end-user services, including help desk and technical support functions
- Develop service levels and manage response to service requests accordingly
- Oversee financial aspects of the service, including purchasing, capital and operating budget preparation, and budget analysis
- Produce monthly reports on key performance indicators and appropriate measures of service effectiveness
- Carry out other duties as directed by senior management
- Communicate operational direction and service expectations within the team
- Create a work culture that focuses on valued service delivery and continuous improvement
- Provide a safe, customer-focused, and motivating work environment
- Manage employee training and development for assigned resources
- Resolve issues sensitively, confidentially, effectively and in accordance with organizational industrial relations practices
- Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or related field of study. A combination of work experience and education may be considered.
- Hold or have held a combination of industry certifications such as ITIL, CGEIT, COBIT, MCSE, and/or Agile.
- A minimum of ten (7) years of progressively senior information technology management experience including broad based capital and operational financial reporting.
- Progressive experience working with IT standards and frameworks such as ITIL and COBIT and having gained knowledge in:
- High-profile, complex 24/7 information technology service for 1000+ users, preferably in a public service environment inclusive of public safety services
- Tier 1 technology and application support
- Mobile technologies, radio communications, and telephony systems
- Records management, document management, data warehouse, and data integration
- High availability services, private cloud, disaster recovery, and business resumption
- Cybersecurity technologies, process, and requirements
- Project management and service management
- Management of professional and unionized employees
- Proven ability to collaborate and work effectively in a team environment with management, professional, unionized employees and other stakeholders in multiple services areas including:
- Ability to explain technical issues and present them in a meaningful way to non-technical personnel
- Excellent managerial and supervisory skills
- Well-developed diplomacy, negotiation and mediation skills
- Ability to think and plan strategically while paying attention to detail
- Proven professional and ethical conduct in the execution of responsibilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Focus on customer service
Applications will be accepted through our online system only. Qualified applicants should submit their resume to:
City of Saint John
www.saintjohn.ca (careers/ employment opportunities)
The City of Saint John is an equal opportunity employer. Late applications WILL NOT BE considered. Only those applicants being considered further will be contacted.
Please note: This posting will remain open until the position is filled.