Public Safety Compliance Officer
Town of Creston
Public Safety Compliance OfficerCommunity Services Department
The Town is accepting applications for the Public Safety Compliance Officer (PSCO) position within the Community Services Department. This full-time position performs administrative, inspectional and regulatory work relating to municipal bylaws. The PSCO is responsible for investigating, administering and enforcing the provisions of municipal bylaws related to, but not limited to, property use, buildings, parking, business regulations, animal control, zoning, noise, open burning, fire inspections and signs. The PSCO will proactively engage citizens, provide statistical analysis, and report to Council on regulatory compliance.
The PSCO is committed to serve, protect and assist in providing a desired quality of life for citizens and visitors to the Town of Creston. This mandate is achieved through an educational approach on raising awareness of community standards, and enforcement of regulatory requirements. The PSCO has considerable independence of action and judgement, requiring interpretation and enforcement of applicable bylaws, codes, regulations and policies. The PSCO carries out varied and moderately complex work requiring considerable knowledge of municipal bylaws, Provincial legislation and the processes of gaining compliance of municipal bylaws. The PSCO is required to exercise independent action and judgement while being courteous and tactful in dealing with the public, Council and Staff.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- Investigate violations, acting through education opportunities, etc. to gain compliance with municipal bylaws and applicable legislation
- Leverage voluntary compliance with municipal bylaw contraventions where possible; seek formal consequences where compliance is not forthcoming, or harm has been done to the community
- Interpret municipal bylaws and provincial and federal regulations
- Issue orders to correct violations
- Work with other enforcement agencies including police and other peace officers
- Research and prepare amendments or new bylaws; develop policy and procedures
- Performs duties of the Animal Control Officer, respond to complaints, impound animals, etc.
- Respond to emergency responses within municipal boundaries to assist in public safety, as required
- Minimum 2-year post-secondary education in justice studies, law enforcement, criminology or a combination of recognized post secondary education programs and relevant experience (see detailed Job Description on the Town of Creston website at www.creston.ca under Job Opportunities, for required Certificates and memberships)
- Valid British Columbia Driver’s Licence – Class 5
- Minimum 5 years experience in dealing with the public in a regulatory capacity
- No criminal record
This position is full-time, 35 hours per week based on a flexible work schedule in order to accommodate attendance at training sessions, public education meetings and special events. This position falls under the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 2092 collective agreement with a starting wage of $34.88 per hour, plus a comprehensive benefit package. A full job description is available upon request and is located on the Town of Creston website under Job Opportunities at www.creston.ca.
Please submit applications containing resume and references by 4:30 p.m. April 22, 2020 to:
“Public Safety Compliance Officer”
Town of Creston
PO Box 1339, Creston, BC V0B 1G0
We thank all applicants for their interest, only those applicants being considered for an interview will be contacted.