Utility Systems Operator (USO) III - Water (20293, 20294, 20295)
Utility Systems Operator (USO) III - Water (3 Positions)Position Status: Full-Time Regular
Department: Water Services
Employee Group: GVRDEU
Location: Beach Works Yard, North Vancouver – 2 positions, Lake City Operations Centre, Burnaby – 1 position
Are you interested in working in a progressive, diverse and inclusive environment operating a vast drinking water system, with expansive infrastructure and a growing population? Metro Vancouver is leading a region of 2.5 million people striving to become the best place in the world in which to live, work and play. Our water system facilities are world class and include large dams, tunnels and one of Canada’s most advanced water treatment facilities. Our work includes using helicopters to operate and maintain the Region’s network of mountain reservoirs. Our daily work includes water main repairs, pump station inspections and reservoir maintenance; our teams also have the opportunity to travel by helicopter to our alpine lakes to operate and maintain the Region’s network of mountain reservoirs
We know that our people are the key to making the Vancouver Region one of the greatest places in the world to live. Metro Vancouver believes in rewarding our employees and offers a great total compensation package and fantastic work-life balance.
Our Water Services Department is seeking a Utility Systems Operator III - Water who will assist in all aspects of the operation and maintenance of Metro Vancouver’s Water Supply System.
You are: Certified with a Level III Water Distribution and have four (4) years or more experience in water system operations and maintenance.
The USO III (Water) role is part of the team involved in the field-based operations of the region’s drinking water supply system. The water supply system consists of over 520 km of large diameter water mains, 19 water pump stations, 26 water storage reservoirs, and 5 dams. This role is accompanied by an attractive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
For more information about this opportunity, please contact Amanda Richardson (HR) at (604)451-6121 or by email: Amanda.firstname.lastname@example.org
This role: (The duties described hereunder are intended to be representative of the position and are not to be considered as all inclusive.)
- Operates, monitors and maintains the water supply facilities including dams, pumping stations, reservoirs, transmission lines, valve and meter chambers, manholes, flow meters, flow control devices and emergency generators.
- Carries out regular inspections to ensure efficient operation and safety of facilities within the area, maintenance of access roads and to prevent encroachments onto easements.
- Inspects, troubleshoots and rectifies operational problems. Provides suggestions for system improvements.
- Carries out preventive and corrective maintenance tasks following established policies and procedures.
- Repairs water supply facilities and maintains equipment such as pumps, motors, valves, instruments, etc.
- Performs system inspections, alterations, lubrications, etc.
- Performs general repairs, housekeeping, painting, etc.
- Performs maintenance tasks including pipeline inspection, valve maintenance, reservoir cleaning, lake debris management, brush cutting, gravel, debris and windfall removal, slope stability etc.
- Operates power tools, mowers, chain saws, jackhammers, and vehicles to fulfill the needs of the position.
- Performs construction duties such as, but not limited to; pipeline leak repairs, the raising and rebuilding of manholes and chambers, new waterline connections, and road building.
- Ensures all work is carried out by subordinates adheres to and is in compliance with all Worksafe and MV safety policies/procedures. Advises superiors of situations requiring review.
- Maintains operating records, submits work progress, time reporting, operations and investigative reports as required.
- Assists in the preparation of work schedules and estimates.
- Provides direction and control of other staff as required, to ensure the work is carried out in a safe efficient manner.
- Trains and supervises subordinates in standard operations and maintenance practices and procedures.
- May be called upon to perform any or all of the duties of the USO I or USO II.
To be successful, you have:
- Grade 12 education or equivalent (Supplemented by courses in supervision, civil and mechanical technology, computers, electrical, instrumentation, etc.)
- Four (4) years or more experience in water system operations and maintenance.
- BC EOCP Level III Water Distribution or equivalent Provincial certification. The highest EOCP Water Distribution Certificate achieved shall be maintained in good standing.
- Ability to interpret engineering drawings.
- Considerable knowledge of: process and mechanical equipment; control systems; electrical and instrumentation equipment.
- Ability to effectively direct and supervise work of others.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Sound knowledge of the occupational hazards, WorkSafe BC regulations, safety policies and procedures related to the construction and maintenance of MV’s water transmission system.
- Ability to use computer applications related to the position and duties
- Physically capable of performing the duties of the position and willingness and ability to work shift work and/or stand-by/on call basis as required.
- Willingness and ability to undertake additional training related to the duties of the position. Demonstrated initiative and proven ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s license.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by May 31, 2020.
National Education Award
Civicjobs.ca supports education in the Local Government sector.
Tools & Resources
Canada's #1 Local Government job posting website.
Postings by Email
Receive email alerts, or sign up for our weekly e-bulletin.