Parks Co-op Student
Parks Co-op Student
- $21.37 Hourly
- Additional 14.75% in lieu of benefits and vacation
The City of Penticton's Park's Department is in search of a highly skilled and energetic individual for the temporary position of Parks Co-op Student. The Parks branch of Public Works is responsible for the development, operation and maintenance of the parks, beaches, sports fields, trails and cemeteries within our community.
Reporting to the Parks Supervisor, the Parks Co-op Student will gain valuable experience in GIS, environmental resource management, asset management and technical drawing development and review. You will have a chance to work with dedicated staff members that will share a passion for working in this remarkable environment, and strengthen your knowledge in how an amazing municipal parks system is run. Penticton features a wide variety of parks for you to work within and for you to experience the natural beauty of the Okanagan. Parks are an important element of Penticton's superb quality of life, providing beauty and tranquility throughout our community.
- GIS data entry and evaluation
- Promote parks through Adopt A Park program
- Field data collection of park assets
- Technical drawing development and review using AutoCAD or Arc GIS
- Liaise with consultants, members of the public, contractors, technical and field staff
- Knowledge of computer applications including AutoCAD, Geographic Information Systems, spreadsheets and related software
- Knowledge of drafting, design techniques and parks specifications, methods and techniques would be an asset
- Data Collection and Entry
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions and may require long periods of walking
- Ability to multi-task, and maintain accurate inventory of records
- Knowledge of safe work practices related to equipment, tools and work in roadways
- Strong organizational and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Excellent people skills
- Valid Class 5 Driver's License; Class N is acceptable
If you are seeking a challenging opportunity and possess the above-mentioned qualifications, we would love to hear from you! We welcome your cover letter and resume by March 1, 2020.
Position type: Seasonal Temporary Assignment (35 hours per week)
Wage: $21.37 per hour (CUPE)
Benefits: Additional 14.75% in lieu of benefits and vacation