Manager, Customer Service & Operations
Manager, Customer Service & OperationsCompetition number : 20-009
Salary Range : $71,024.00 - $84,347.00
Job Type : Permanent Full Time
Closing Date (dd/mm/yyyy) : 23/02/2020
Reporting to the Deputy Commissioner, Growth & Community Development Services, the Manager of Customer Service and Operations will support the effective and efficient operation of the City’s One Stop Development Shop through the implementation of advanced business processes and continuous improvement initiatives to ensure excellence of customer service, establishment and monitoring of key performance metrics including response times and business unit targets.
Key Result Areas:
Support the effective and efficient operation of the One Stop Development Shop by ensuring quality customer service and implementing quality improvement, financial and logistical systems that address its existing and evolving needs.
Provide management of the service areas with the business processes needed to ensure its effective and efficient operation by:
- Continuously reviewing and updating external business processes and internal administrative processes and procedures related to the One Stop Development Shop to ensure they meet operational needs and legislative requirements.
- Fostering changes in the organization with an emphasis on the integration of sound business practices, including the development and implementation of quality customer service improvement methodologies to drive growth outcomes.
- Working with related agencies and stakeholders, determining the evolving needs of the citizens as they relate to One Stop Development Shop and recommending alternative and innovative forms of service delivery.
- Participating in developing long-term goals and departmental objectives that are in line with the overall strategic direction of the organization.
Provide management of the customer service and administration support staff for the One Stop Development Shop front counter team. Support customers and develop employees through effective leadership by:
- Managing the customer service relationship for the One Stop Development Shop, ensuring excellence in customer service and the timely and effective resolution of customer inquiries and responses.
- Setting and communicating clear performance expectations related to customer service for the Department and the front line administrative team including implementation of a daily management practice.
- Managing tracking and regular reporting of Departmental metrics and KPIs, and establishment of stretch targets to enhance customer satisfaction.
- Overseeing work flow processing for applications handled by the One Stop Development shop, designing improvements to permit intake and approvals processes and troubleshooting any issues with the workflow processes including liaison with Departmental technical teams and other service areas such as Finance and IT to implement process improvements.
- Leading process improvement initiatives that reduce unnecessary regulatory burdens and allow more efficient and value added approvals processes.
- Lead the development and implementation of customer outreach, relationship management and appreciation strategies.
- Providing a safe, quality, motivating work environment to the front line administrative team to achieve results.
- Facilitate a culture of solutions oriented customer service across the Department to drive growth outcomes. Develop and implement programs to support customer service excellence related to employee training and development.
- Resolving issues, sensitively, confidentially, effectively and in accordance with organizational HR practices.
- Championing and participating in the City’s health and safety program and ensuring compliance with the New Brunswick Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, as well as City of Saint John Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Ensure the financial integrity, performance effectiveness, and functioning of the One Stop Development Shop by:
- Planning, creating, and monitoring the resource requirements for the One Stop Development Shop.
- Preparing various reports and presenting data and metrics on the performance of the One Stop Development Shop and permit activity trends, as required.
- Developing bench marks, performance measures and reporting systems to track and measure effectiveness of the service in terms of scope, quality, time, and cost.
- Conducting regular, systematic analysis of service performance and reporting on that analysis, assuring accountability and continuous Improvement.
- Reviewing program planning, seeking input from the department staff, co-coordinating, preparing and presenting the analysis of Key Performance to the Commissioner and the Growth and Community Development Management team and to the Growth Committee and Council.
- Contributing to an integrated approach to customer service corporately in terms of the virtual and physical customer service experience.
Facilitate continuous improvement efforts of the service areas by serving as project or program manager for various departmental initiatives assuming additional managerial duties and participating in related assignments, as required.
Enhance the ability of the service areas to fulfill its mandate by acting as a valued member of the leadership team.
The successful candidate will have a post-secondary degree in a related field and a minimum of 5 (five) years progressive experience in a customer centric public facing work environment.
Applications will be accepted through our online system only. Qualified applicants should submit their cover letters and resumes to:
City of Saint John
Attention: Hiring Committee
www.saintjohn.ca (careers/employment opportunities)
The City of Saint John is an equal opportunity employer. Only those applicants being considered further will be contacted