Town of Strathmore
Parks OperatorSeasonal Term - 4 months Term
(May 4 - September 4, 2020)
The Town of Strathmore is a vibrant and progressive community of 13,000 people, located on the Trans Canada Highway 40 km east of Calgary. The community offers all amenities that appeal to a wide range of lifestyles including first class educational and recreational facilities. The Town of Strathmore provides a range of services and programs that promote the well being of the Strathmore community, “Where Quality is the Way of Life”. Striving to be a leader in municipal administration and operations, the Town has a strong and engaged team focused on delivering these services to the citizens of Strathmore. Reporting to the Parks Lead, the Parks Operator is both a strategic and hands-on role that provides an array of support around the Strathmore community.
We are looking for a self-driven and highly motivated individual to join the Operations team for our 2020 summer season.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Operate a variety of light duty equipment (mowers, weed trimmers, backpack blowers, rototillers, skid steer, tractor, etc.).
- Maintain outdoor parks amenities for public use.
- Maintain parks, pathways, green spaces, flower beds, planters, trees and horticultural displays.
- Maintain sidewalks, curbs, gutters and asphalt pavement.
- Assist in Community and Civic events as required.
- Assist in the repair of Town Infrastructure as required.
- Undertake after-hours and weekends duties on a rotational basis.
- Assist other departments with operating duties as required.
- Required to work outside in all weather conditions.
- The expectation of the position is to be able to work until labour day.
Required Education & Experience:
- Must have a minimum of Grade 11 education.
- Minimum Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License, with clean driver’s abstract.
- Ability to represent the Town of Strathmore in a professional manner.
- Able to operate various maintenance equipment and tools.
- Can work independently and cooperatively in a team environment.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Training in First Aid, WHMIS and Flag person Safety are all considered assets.
- Successful candidates will be required to provide their own CSA approved steel toed boots.
Competencies and Behaviours:
- Must be willing to take direction from others and follow through with designated tasks.
- Have the willingness to follow standards and guidelines.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to avoid conflict.
- A team player that integrates a high degree of personal drive and motivation towards team support.
- Ability to make independent decisions while still following direction.
- Clear thinking, problem-solving abilities
Hours: The work week will be 40 hours, which will include weekend and statutory holiday coverage shifts.
Compensation: The Town of Strathmore offers a competitive salary and benefits package based on your experience and qualifications
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Please forward a cover letter describing your experience and ability with respect to the competencies and behaviours stated above as well as your resume quoting Competition No.TOS2020-01 by email to email@example.com.
Competition closes February 21, 2020.
The Town of Strathmore thanks all applicants however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Prior to beginning work, the successful candidate will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract and the successful completion of an RCMP/Police Criminal Records Check. References from recent employers or volunteer activities will be required as part of the recruitment process. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive work environment where every employee feels valued and respected. We will consider accessibility accommodations to applicants upon request. This posting is intended as a summary of the primary responsibilities and qualifications for this position. The job ad is not intended as inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or of all qualifications that may be required either now or in the future.