Position Type: Auxiliary
Department: Community Sports
Applicant Closing Date: Jan 26, 2020
Anticipated Start Date: February, 2020
Multiple positions available
We are looking for enthusiastic Sport Leaders for our Sport Camps, Programs, School Bookings, and Birthdays in the Community Sport department.
What's so special about this role?
This is a fantastic opportunity for students with sporting and/or coaching experience to join the Oval team AND we are willing to work around your availability! Read more below...
Are you our next Oval Team Sport Leader?
If you are a leader by nature, committed to helping others achieve success, passionate about coaching and creating activity lesson plans, then this is the role for you. Specifically, we are looking for individuals who are available during Spring Break (March 16-27), as well as those who are looking for a variety of hours throughout the coming months. This position can have as few as 2 hours/week up to 40 hour/week! We are looking for individuals with all types of sporting backgrounds. As part of the application process you will have the opportunity to highlight any experience you have in a sport as a coach and/or player. Examples of sport camps that we offer: badminton, skating, floorball, rowing, dragon boating, climbing, dance and baseball.
A day in the life of the Sport Leader includes:
- Working in a team environment to ensure the participant has a positive experience while at the Richmond Olympic Oval.
- Monitoring and maintaining the integrity, appearance, and safety of all Oval sport equipment and surroundings.
- Coaching and instructing activities and lessons with enthusiasm, instructing based on objectives, and adjusting activities based on age, skill and athletic levels.
- Demonstrating leadership, energy, and enthusiasm to the teaching environment each day.
- Ensuring that appropriate skills are being taught to participants and progression through levels takes place.
- Demonstrating support to all other sport leaders, as needed.
- Recording and communicating feedback, strengths, and weaknesses with supervisors, to ensure important information is being communicated.
- Providing exceptional customer service.
The qualifications and skills you bring to this role include:
- Successful completion of Grade 12 preferred.
- Participation or graduation in a recognized, sport related post-secondary program is an asset.
- Sport Specific NCCP Certificates an asset.
- NCCP Fundamental Movement Skills, Kids Can Move, or Run Jump Throw, or equivalent training an asset.
- Valid Standard First Aid, CPR-C and AED Certificate.
- Experience working with children in a sport camp or related setting as a leader or volunteer.
- Proven athletic ability and strong knowledge of a variety of sports and age-appropriate sport activities for children aged 3-12 years old.
- Ability and confidence to coach and lead large groups.
- Ability to deal with a diversity of people in a calm, courteous, and effective manner.
- Effective communication, interpersonal, prioritization, planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to work within a team environment is essential.
- Flexibility with availability.
- Must be able to complete a successful Criminal Record Check.
To view all Spring Break Camps, please visit: http://richmondoval.ca/community-sport/sport-camps/spring-break-sport-camps/
The Richmond Olympic Oval is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all groups. This includes women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who may contribute to diversity. We also recognize unique styles, perspectives, beliefs and creativity that support a diverse, respectful, inclusive and collaborative work environment.
If you are personable, have a great attitude, are passionate about delivering exceptional customer service and have a genuine interest in contributing to the greater good of our company and our community, we want to hear from you!