Assistant Deputy Minister, Local Government and Planning Policy
Ontario Public Service
Assistant Deputy Minister, Local Government and Planning PolicyMinistry of Municipal Affairs and Housing
Are you ready to challenge yourself with a professional mission that contributes to the quality of life in Ontario through strong urban and rural communities? Do you want to play a significant role in building strong relationships between the Ontario Public Service and municipalities? With the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, you will join a team that promotes safe and strong communities, dynamic local economies and a range of housing choices.
As the Assistant Deputy Minister (ADM) of Local Government and Planning Policy you will lead a division responsible for the development and implementation of policy, program and legislation for local government finance, governance and land use planning. The ADM is responsible for leading the ministry's partnerships with the municipal sector.
What can I expect to do in this role?
Reporting to the Deputy Minister, the Assistant Deputy Minister of Local Government and Planning Policy is an important member of the ministry's senior executive team and the key accountabilities will be to:
- INSPIRE management and staff of the four branches within the division: Municipal Finance Policy, Local Government Policy, Provincial Planning Policy and Intergovernmental Relations and Partnerships.
- CHAMPION innovative policy and program development approaches that support the Ontario government's agenda.
- LEAD the development of the ministry's policy and engagement related to municipal finance, municipal governance, partnerships with municipal stakeholders and land use planning.
- BUILD effective partnerships with the municipal sector, foster effective consultation with other stakeholders and provide strategic intergovernmental advice.
- STRATEGICALLY advise on municipal governance, municipal financial trends and issues, and land use planning.
- REPRESENT the division or ministry on a variety of inter-ministerial and cross-jurisdictional committees and public forums.
How do I qualify?
- You are an inspiring and inclusive senior executive with expertise in policy development and building and maintaining effective relationships with complex stakeholders.
- You have experience as an executive in leading large, multi-functional teams of senior managers and professional staff to deliver results in a complex organizational environment.
- You have a record of delivering excellent results for your organization and have a reputation of being open and transparent in your dealings with others and management of resources.
- You have expert level knowledge of the development of policies and strategies.
- You have a thorough understanding of provincial, municipal and federal relationships/ issues and trends affecting municipal and local government services including land use planning.
- You have analytical and problem solving skills and have managed complex politically-sensitive issues.
- You have knowledge of government decision-making processes and structures.
- You have a thorough understanding of provincial, municipal and federal relationships/issues and trends affecting municipal and local government services
- You have strong diplomacy skills and can communicate clearly with partners and stakeholders to earn their trust in order to resolve issues and generate consensus.
- You have experience engaging diverse and influential external stakeholders, including inter-jurisdictional stakeholders.
- You model and champion collaborative approaches and balance stakeholders' interests.
- You are a sophisticated communicator with executive briefing skills to effectively provide strategic advice to Ministers, Deputy Ministers and other senior officials.
- You have superior public relations skills to represent government and lead stakeholder and public engagements.
$164,910 - $211,910 per year
Interview dates are December 18 and December 19, 2019
How to apply:
Please apply online, only, by Friday, December 6, 2019, by visiting http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.aspx?Language=English&JobID=141847. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact the Executive Recruitment Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.