Assistant Deputy Minister, Municipal Services Division
Ontario Public Service
Assistant Deputy Minister, Municipal Services DivisionMinistry of Municipal Affairs and Housing
Are you ready to challenge yourself with a professional mission that contributes to the quality of life in Ontario through strong urban and rural communities? Do you want to play a significant role in building strong relationships between the Ontario Public Service and municipalities? With the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, you will join a team that promotes safe and strong communities, dynamic local economies and a range of housing choices.
As the Assistant Deputy Minister of Municipal Services Division, you will lead the operations division on matters related to municipal land-use planning, municipal finance, municipal governance, housing, disaster recovery and Ontario's Building Code. You will also lead modernization initiatives to improve service delivery and meet government objectives. You will require dynamic and innovative leadership with superior relationship management expertise to provide direction and oversight on the legislated mandate and strategic initiatives of the Division.
What can I expect to do in this role?
Reporting to the Deputy Minister, the Assistant Deputy Minister of Municipal Services Division is an important member of the ministry's senior executive team and the key accountabilities will be to:
Be a Visionary
- Set the strategic direction for the delivery of ministry services to municipalities through regional Municipal Services Offices (MSOs) who collaborate with municipal partners on land use planning, local government and housing. You will map a path forward for the Building Code that will keep Ontario in a position of national leadership.
- Provide executive leadership and direction for the strategic planning, priority setting and overall direction of the Municipal Services Division related to the development and delivery of high quality, value added services to municipalities. You will encourage innovation and the use of data to support decision-making and build capacity across the municipal sector.
- As an excellent communicator with strong leadership and relationship-building skills, you will work and maintain effective partnerships and solve problems with a wide range of diverse partners and stakeholders who have competing interests, priorities and challenges, and provide the necessary influence to further the Division's and government's agenda.
- Support and promote a productive team environment which reflects the fostering of a culture of excellence and the creation of an inclusive, diverse, equitable, respectful and accessible work place
How do I qualify?
- You are an inspiring and inclusive senior executive with operational and relationship management expertise and build and maintain effective relationships with complex stakeholders
- You possess the ability to act as an executive in leading large, multi-functional teams of senior managers and professional staff in a large, complex, decentralized, geographically dispersed organization
- You possess the ability to set vision, lead strategic direction and work horizontally to develop partnerships
- You have demonstrated senior leadership experience in risk-management and managing complex and contentious issues
- You have a demonstrated understanding of legislative framework and public policy associated with municipal governance and development across Ontario
- You understand land use planning, housing, building regulation and disaster recovery assistance
- You have implemented successful strategic service delivery initiatives
- You have solid experience in regulatory practice and knowledge of Provincial Legislative Authorities such as the Municipal Act, Municipal Election Act, Building Code, Planning Act, and other relevant legislation
- You have a comprehensive understanding of government structure and decision-making processes and the Ministries' directions, priorities and business agendas
- You are familiar with governance and accountability frameworks and ensure recommended strategies align with the government's agenda
- You have experience and knowledge of policy development and regulatory and legislative modernization in order to lead a division to respond to program issues
- You have a thorough understanding of provincial, municipal and federal relationships/issues and trends affecting municipal and local government services
- You have strong diplomacy skills and can communicate clearly with partners and stakeholders to earn their trust in order to resolve issues and generate consensus.
- You have excellent judgement and political acuity along with excellent negotiation skills and the ability to influence
- You are a sophisticated communicator with experience managing and speaking to complex situations, executive briefing skills to effectively provide strategic advice to Ministers, Deputy Ministers and other senior officials.
- You are expert in customer service delivery and continuous improvement.
$164,910 - $211,910 per year
Interview dates are December 18 and December 19, 2019
How to apply:
Please apply online, only, by Friday, December 6, 2019, by visiting http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.aspx?Language=English&JobID=141843. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact the Executive Recruitment Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.