Municipal District of Greenview
Located in Valleyview, Alberta, the Municipal District of Greenview is a vast and diverse area rich in oil and gas, fertile farmland, and mixed wood forests. As the third-largest rural municipality in Alberta, Greenview boasts diversity in economic activities and an extraordinary landscape. Greenview’s economy is strengthened by its diversity, a talented workforce and an entrepreneurial spirit that is second to none. Our residents experience adventure right in their backyards with lakes, rivers, Rocky Mountain peaks and vast prairie offering a year-round outdoor playground for all ages.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Manager, Construction & Engineering is responsible for the planning and monitoring of road, bridge, pavement and municipal construction projects in conjunction with the General Manager and the Assistant General Manager, Infrastructure & Planning. While contributing as a Manager to the Municipal District’s strategic direction, values and vision the Manager, Construction & Engineering will perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed below.
- Oversees Capital Roads Construction Projects, Bridge installation and Road Surfacing Projects.
- Supervise Municipal Engineer, Liaison’s with various Consultants and Contractors.
- Supervisory duties include training, budgeting, performance appraisals, coaching, mentoring and monitoring tasks.
- Planning of capital construction projects and prepare construction schedules in conjunction with the General Manager, Infrastructure & Planning.
- Read, interpret, analyze and forecast a project’s cost reports and determine the status of the job in terms of scheduling and costing.
- Conduct project meetings as required.
- Coordinate, manage and communicate with Contractors and Consultants and effectively deal with problems such as delivery, labour, scheduling, land negotiations, utility approvals and payment disputes, and to enforce safe work procedures.
- Provide engineering / design / survey support for various projects.
- Carry out pre and post inspections of road crossings and approaches including but not limited to subdivision and oilfield, to ensure compliance with conditions.
- Maintain inventories of approvals.
- Assist with land acquisitions when required.
- Assist with the provision of subdivision referrals to the Municipal Planning Commission related to infrastructure requirements.
- Oversee Engineers and Contractors on construction projects.
- Recommend changes to Municipal policies as required.
- To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform the duties listed above to a high degree of quality, timeliness and precision.
- Post-secondary education in Civil / Construction Engineering, or a combination of equivalent education and experience.
- A minimum 3 – 5 years’ experience / knowledge of construction, design, finance and management experience required.
- Required APEGA License in P.Engg.
- Level 1 Bridge Inspection certification would be an asset.
- Project Management Certificate would be an asset.
- Class 5 driver’s license.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Superior communication and interpersonal (tact, diplomacy, influence, etc.) skills essential.
- Ability to interact well with, and respond to inquiries from all levels of employees, including Management, Council and Ratepayers.
- Must be self-motivated, and able to work with little or no supervision.
- Must be able to apply innovative and effective management techniques to maximize employee and Contractor performance.
- Demonstrated leadership capability.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Familiarity with AutoCAD.
- Ability to understand surveying information and to read plans.
- Familiarity with Alberta and ability to carry out field inspections.
- Familiarity with construction standards.
- Ability to interpret, implement and adhere to organizational policies and procedures.
- Extensive use of computer and telephone.
- Long periods of sitting, good lighting, temperature and noise control.
- Minimal physical effort; occasional light lifting.
- Subject to working in an outdoor environment – heat, cold, dry, dusty and / or wet conditions as well as exposure to insects, bees and wildlife.
- Use and operation of a vehicle.
- May be exposed to construction sites.
- Normal working day consists of 7.5 hours; however occasional overtime may be required.
- Some travel may be required.
- All personnel working at the Municipal District of Greenview are governed by the Municipal District Health & Safety Policy.
- Ensures all operations are conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with Municipal District Policies and Occupational Health & Safety Regulations.
- Ensure proper ergonomic requirements are met and good ergonomic procedures are practiced.
- Adhere to construction safety procedures.
- Required to wear correct Personal Protective Equipment as per safe job procedures.
- Must follow all safe job procedures.
Closing Date: December 15, 2019
Application Return: Interested qualified candidates may submit cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.
This competition will close on December 15th, 2019 at 4:00 p.m.
While we truly appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.